INTEREST CHECK - class on how to sharpen knives

If you need some VERY dull knives to sharpen, there is a drawer full of them in the kitchen.

2 Likes

Are they the kind of quality I associate with shared kitchens? If so I might just show up with my Worksharp in as a separate task because it makes crappy stainless a breeze to resurrect from the dead.

1 Like

Yep, there isn’t a “good” knife in the drawer.

Here is the event link:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/7122

Due to unexpected travel delay I won’t be able to attend the inaugural knife sharpening class. I just cancelled my RSVP, so now there’s an open spot.

Let me know when you plan to do this class again.

3 Likes

Just attended the first class and it was excellent! Axel has lots of good advice. Don’t spend money on sharpening gear until you hear his advice.

6 Likes

Thanks - it was a good group of people. Give me any tips you may have to make the next one better.

6 Likes

All classes should hit the big points as well:

• Your background including years of professional sharpening.
  • Overview of a number of sharpening methods and tools with advantages and disadvantages.
  • Prices for good systems and how much is too much.
  • Various methods demonstrated.
  • Suggestion of a reasonable set that will fulfill all my needs.

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Interesting and informative class, thanks for teaching it!

3 Likes

Yes and yes. I would also love a garden tool sharpening classes (or class).

Yes please! I’m down for this.

1 Like

Cliff notes version: use a file.

1 Like

Basically what John said. Depends on the tool but almost all of them need to be flat on one side and have a bevel on the other. Just file with the existing bevel til you start seeing shiny metal and your usually good

1 Like

Were strops covered?

They weren’t, Axel doesn’t use them if I recall correctly or something along those lines? Not trying to put words in anyone’s mouth though I could be mistaken

I discussed straight razors but no we didn’t cover strops as no - I don’t use them and I don’t own a straight razor.

We went over stones and ceramic rods and a butchers sharpening rod in the class. Everyone got to use the 2 rod blocks I had and the stones, although no-one made use of the stones.

And glad to say no-one ended up needing the firstaid kit I had along.

4 Likes

I think a sharpening class that not only went over the basics of general sharpening, but how to specifically treat the space’s sharpening equipment well, would be a great idea.

2 Likes

I would love to see one covering scissors