INTEREST CHECK - class on how to sharpen knives

Dull knives are dangerous - I say this because dull knifes skid off surfaces and then tend to stab or cut unintended things or body parts. ( show scars - trade stories here )

I would like to check interest on a knife sharpening class -
kitchen knives, pockets knives - project knives - even carpet knife blade inserts

Nothing serrated, metal knives only

I hope to teach sharpening by stone and by porcelain rods -

We will start with safety, then some theory, a little metallurgy, and then we’ll sharpen almost, if not all of what you bring with you to class.

This should be about a 45 minute class.

Let me know if you are interested.

By way of qualifications to teach this class - I am a BSA Eagle scout and was the person who kept the knives sharp in Delchamps Food Store butchershop in Baton Rouge, LA for about a year in the early 1980’s

9 Likes

I am in. I have a box of dull kitchen knives if anyone needs one for the class.

–Thurman–

4 Likes

I’m in. I would encourage you to post the class as two hours. In the announcement you could suggest stones and such from economy to $$$ . Lab time would be a lot of fun as we sharpen, test and compare results. Those that want to leave after 45 minutes could do so.

2 Likes

All of my kitchen knives are overdue (including my fav serrated knife). If timing works, definitely interested.

Yes, thank you for offering to do that, I’ll look for the class.

I’d be down to sit and listen while I sharpen. I can never force myself to sit down and touch up the knives and having to sit in one place and be respectful to the teacher would probably be just the thing.

I was just thinking about if anyone would want to teach one. So yes I’m in.

interested, just bought a sharpener and not particularly happy with how it has sharpened my chef’s knife.

Me
And some words
:blankspace:

I can lend some time/expertise/tools to the cause, if you need. I’ve got a water-cooled Tormek bench grinder (really best for woodworking tools, though), Arkansas stones, a 250/1000 Japanese water stone, a Worksharp Ken Onion, a kitchen steel, and a set of Spyderco fine stones suitable to touching up serrated knives for those looking to take on a more advanced skillset.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested in this class.

Interested as well, got a good deal on a starter Japanese water stone awhile ago, after many disappointing attempts I packed it in and sold it to a friend.

Yes Axel, please.

For a separate discussion, I would like us to invest a good sharpening system for repeatable success. There are several. I should start that thread now.

Done.

Count me in. Would like to put a good and lasting edge on a Forschner butcher knife.

Yes I surely would be…

I would be interested!

From one Eagle Scout to another… I’d be interested…

Very interested. Using whetstones is a skill that has evaded me and I end up with rounded blades.

@StanSimmons - Please add in an event calendar event classification of Hatchers Armory.

First class will be this Sunday August 5th @ 1 PM - Purple classroom.

10 seats open now.

I will bring my stones and my own porcelain rod block and would ask any who have them to bring in theirs as well along with your dull knives.

I’ll put another class on the calendar in the near future - give me some replies on days and times you’d want to see a class - I can do most week nights and weekends, typically.

2 Likes

Done. :blankspace: :blankspace: