Interest Check: Basic Candy Making

I guess that falls under science? Possibly 3D Fab if we got really excitable and did our own lollipop molds?

Class 1 would be something entry level like english toffee. Then lollipops. Maybe one day after I’ve done more practicing I can teach sugar blowing…but for now I’m only confident in teaching toffee, caramels, and suckers

7 Likes

I’d be down

I’ve considered some candy making, I just haven’t had the time to get there yet. I’d go for it if you were interested in teaching it.

If you make “Aunt Bill’s Brown Candy” I’m in. Malliard reaction, caramelization, softball vs hardball vs hard crack candy temps - several science-y tie-ins.

That being said though, I don’t think our lease allows cooking on the premises. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

We can heat metal to white-hot but not heat sugar to 300 degrees? It’s not cooking, it’s demonstrating the properties of melted polysaccharides.

3 Likes

I don’t make the rules and I didn’t write or sign the lease. I also haven’t taught any cast iron/dutch oven cooking classes since the lease was signed, even though I’d like to.

3 Likes

I’m down to assist with any cast iron, dutch oven efforts that may eventually take place.

FWIW…As a Board member, I did get the Landlord’s agreement earlier this year (with appropriate safety cordoning and fire suppressant gear on hand) to bring a grill and/or an offset bbq pit out back in the parking lot for the purposes of cooking for DMS events. It would not be outside the realm of possibility that cast iron cooking could also occur.

Cooking ‘inside’ DMS is still verboten to my knowledge.

6 Likes

Well then I doubt we can classify it as non cooking

Demonstrating melting sugar… may be ok. I believe beyond that, regardless of lease, part of the issue is it’s classified as “for consumption by the public” which opens the door for health inspectors.

You are correct, this is the rub.

During the time I was on the BoD I directly contacted the person in charge in charge of Carrolton’s Heath Depart that oversees Food Service. I stated what we were and we wanted to teach classes and we didn’t know if we would be subject to to it.

His response was: If it is a class for members and we weren’t selling or giving the food away to outsiders there wasn’t a problem.

That still did not overcome the food preparation clause in our lease, which we tried to negotiate out of the lease. The Landlord would not change it. So that’s why we don’t teach.

Someone has apparently asked about DMS hosting organization BBQ’s out back and apparently they are okay with that.

5 Likes

In all fairness to the landlord if the zombie virus was going to be made it probably WOULD be us :joy:

3 Likes

Shhhhhh. Don’t let everyone know…

I would be that someone, and yes they are okay with that, provided the above safety procedures/controls are followed.

3 Likes

I’m late to the party, but interested!

While the weather is still nice is there any reason we couldn’t set up the tent and do this outside?

Or, do like Ceramics does for the raku firing and work with a local supplier to do the class off-site?

1 Like

Off site would work. I suppose it could be done outside but I don’t know if a camp stove would provide consistent results/heat? I know humidity plays a factor even indoors

I think we have a small induction stove in either science or the galley. That would work as long as we have the right pots.

I can bring a table top propane burner.

Wouldn’t it still be cooking regardless of what we cook on?