INTEREST: Aluminum Riveting Class?

Sounds great. Maybe enough to get me motivated to continue my RV-9.

Iā€™m in for a class, if itā€™s during the day of a weekday.
It would b a cool skill to learn.

Yes! I need to do aluminum riveting for a current project and I have no experience with it; any chance of this happening in the next couple of weeks?

I would also be happy to split the cost of tools/materials with some other members to donate to DMS.

Do you have a rivet gun?

No, but I would be happy to chip in to help get one for the space.

I donā€™t know anything specifically about riveting, but we have several of the handheld pump guns in the workshop, 2nd drawer from the bottom I think, red toolbox.

@motopilot would be the best guy to help you with a quick riveting demo but I could also give you a quick lesson. I could meet you at the space sometime and bring my rivet gun, bucking bar and some rivets. Iā€™m canā€™t part with my tools, though, so youā€™d need to acquire your own or see if metal shop has or will get them.

1 Like

The riveters at the space are for ā€œpopā€ or pulled-rivets.

A rivet gun (or squeezer) is necessary for solid aluminum rivets.
A few additional tools are necessary.

At the bare minimum, a rivet gun is needed. (unless you want to manually peen the rivet with a ball-peen hammer)

Hereā€™s a good starter rivet gun that should work. It comes with several rivet sets and bucking bars, and a nice case to keep it all together so youā€™ll notice if a piece is missing.

https://www.yardstore.com/catalog/product/view/id/12527/s/air-capital-red-box-kit-with-3x-rivet-gun/category/2307/

Clecos are almost mandatory to hold the work pieces together while riveting. Approximately 20 to start. The size needed for typical round-head rivets is 1/8".

https://www.yardstore.com/cleco-fastening/clecos/spring-clecos/k-0-0-25/k-series-spring-cleco-1-8-0-1-4

Also, a couple Cleco pliers because if one is lost, youā€™re out of luck.

https://www.yardstore.com/cleco-pliers-with-grip

And #30 drill bits if there arenā€™t already a good supply at the space.

And, some rivets:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/solidalumrivets2.php
A few sizes of universal head (round) 1/8" rivets.
(.13 of a pound of each - or about 200)
AN470AD-4-3
AN470AD-4-4
AN470AD-4-5
AN470AD-4-6
AN470AD-4-7

Additional sizes depending on the thickness of the metal youā€™re trying to fasten.
Determine rivet size by measuring the total thickness of the metal youā€™re joining in 1/16ths of an inch, and add 3/16. So, if the metal is 1/8" (2/16") then youā€™d need a 5/16" rivet which is the -5 rivet above.

If riveting flush rivets, other tools are needed, including 3/32 clecos, countersink tool and microstop set, etc. Flush rivets are typically used on the skin of an aircraft or when youā€™re looking for a flush surface on the finished surfaceā€¦

2 Likes

So, my original post mentioned having a class ready by the end of May. I was careful to omit the year, and it looks like 2018 will be it.

I have a curriculum ready, but Iā€™ve never taught an official class and need to go through that process. It appears to be 2 weeks from schedule to class, which would put the first class in June at the earliest (and my June and July is really busy).

A better bet would be some informal training and help on a couple evenings/weekends that I might be able to be at the space. A full class on Universal and flush head rivets takes at least an hour and a half. Universal only would be much faster and could have you working within 30 minutes.

My first availability is Sunday the 20th at about 8:30pm.
Does this time work for anyone? (reply here) I need to limit this to only a few people this time because otherwise we wonā€™t have time for you to practice.

4 Likes

Very interested in the class

CDC surplus sells Cleckos of various sizes & styles. Thatā€™s where I got my set.

I would be interested in the Sunday class. Iā€™ll already be there for HAAS training.

Countā€¦meā€¦inā€¦

Thank you!! Sunday the 20th at 8:30pm would work for me. I need to do flush rivets for a partial mockup of a P-51 I am working onā€”so if you have the time to teach that, I would really appreciate it.

Is there anything we would need to pick up before the class?

It looks like $300ā€“400 should put us in business with equipment for riveting at DMS. Iā€™m willing to donate part of that if we can get a few other people onboard.

This sounds very interesting, if there are other informal sessions or a class scheduled in June I will definitely watch for those in the calendar. Thanks for putting this together.

Looks like we have 3 or 4, so letā€™s stop there. Iā€™ll post again when I have another time available.

A little over 2 years and about 1200 hours of work logged (so probably more).

How long before we have a Locost build at DMS? Steel space frame with stressed aluminum body panels. Whoā€™s got a donor car?

As soon as you agree to be the leader of the projectā€¦

Iā€™m in thoughā€¦ Iā€™d love to build a car.

Reference for those who didnā€™t know you could build a car:

With a baby coming next month, I donā€™t think Iā€™m leading any such projects any time soon.