INTEREST: Aluminum Riveting Class?

I was wondering if there might be interest in learning the basics of how to rivet aluminum sheet or other metals with solid and pulled rivets. (mainly solid – pulled are easy)

The class would involve a description of the tools involved and techniques for round-head and flush rivets - including using a drill, rivet gun and rivet squeezer. Also drilling out bad rivets and repair.

Tools are the only question… I could bring my own tools and rivets to teach the class, but I don’t think the Makerspace has a rivet gun, bucking bars, dimple dies, etc. so others could do this on their own later.

A rivet gun starts at about $140, rivet set kit $30, bucking bars $20-40. (or get a $13 air hammer from harbor freight)
Clecos and cleco pliers - about $30 to start with a few. More is better.

To rivet flush rivets, the following are also needed:
Dimple dies (2 sizes) - $50 + die block set kit ($18).

A manual rivet squeezer ($95) is also nice to have - but will also require some more accessories ($30). A pneumatic squeezer ($500+) would be great luxury item.

Various other tools needed are probably already on-hand, but there might be another $100-200 or so to purchase new ones to keep them together in a “riveting toolbox.”

(ideally, someone donates all of this stuff, or it is purchased used)

I built my own airplane out of aluminum and needed to use about a million rivets while doing it… I think I’m qualified to teach others this useful skill, and I know there are a few others even more experienced than I am.

10 Likes

I think this would be great!
Automotive will buy (if we don’t already have one) a metric nutsert/rivnut (pick your term). I think metal fab and automotive would certainly benefit for sponsoring your class.
I have bags of new various clecos in my home workshop that I’d be up for lending for such a class.

3 Likes

That’s fantastic (building your own airplane)!

I don’t have the patience to do something if that magnitude.

I was trying to find the best way to rivet stuff to the cruel bus. And also looking for … Screw rivets? Something like blind nuts in wood, except for sheet metal or thin structural metal.

1 Like

I would love to learn how to do this

Rivet nuts are a piece of cake. I bought a rivet nut setter from Grainger about 6 months ago. Before that I used a jig to set 3/8" rivet nuts. It was more or less 2 pieces of 3/8 plate with two threaded holes & one through hole. Rivet nuts can be strong if you set them right. I have had my pig of a Jeep resting on 9 of them.

1 Like

Love the concept, but don’t have the finances for another tool set :smirk:

Mainly commenting to ask you to post about your plane! I know I’d love to see any pictures of the process and finished product! Color commentary also encouraged. Well done!

2 Likes

I’d certainly be up for a class on this useful subject.
Will look for a posting to the events calendar.
Have not heard anything about Clecos since my first job as an Engineer in the '70’s.
An associate (who also built and flew his own airplane - in the '50’s) was an advocate in their use.
More tools for the toolbox, can’t have too many!

2 Likes

Same here. I would be very interested in a class as well.

So very true!

Seems the women have a similar feeling about shoes…

2 Likes

I’d be interested in the class and could bring tools. I’ve got an RV-9 kit sitting in my garage waiting for me to find the inspiration (and clear horizontal space) to get back to work on it.

1 Like

@PearceDunlap, perhaps what you are looking for are Camloc fasteners? They are often used to hold cowlings on, hatches closed, etc.

1 Like

also called Dzus fasteners

1 Like

Sounds like there would be enough interest in this for an occasional class - even though we might need to drum up some support to buy tools.
I’ll probably focus on solid aluminum rivets only. I’ve never used steel or other materials because I’ve never riveted anything but aluminum sheet- but the techniques are probably the same.

If you’re interested in my Airplane Build - see http://www.eaachapter.com/RV9A (that site is now over 10 years old though) If you’re interested in the whole Vans RV culture, see http://vansairforce.net. DFW is nearly the epicenter. Airplane builders are real ‘makers!’

1 Like

Tell me about it!
B-)

I’m too chicken to fly something I built. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m interested in the class

I would be interested in the class also.

I’m working on the class materials now… and have all my riveting tools organized into a single toolbox!
Hope to be ready by the end of May.

6 Likes

Sounds great!

20 20 20