Instructors: Where would YOU like to look for Class Requests? [POLL posted]

Hey Lisa,

Might I suggest that we add a category under issue/request for request a class. With all the wood shop class requests recently it would be very apparent the want if you clicked a category and notice 5 out of the 10 most recent threads were all requesting the same class.

Just an idea, take it or leave it.

2 Likes

Not a bad idea @Nick… Let’s see what the members who teach the classes prefer.

Would you mind changing the title of this thread to something along the lines of, "DMS Teachers, Where do you want to look for Class Request Threads?“

I’ll go ahead and move this to the #classrooms category and pin it there so members who teach at the Space can discuss their preferences there for a day or so…

Thanks!
:dms: :smiley:

Edit to say that I have went ahead and renamed the thread to, "Instructors: Where would YOU like to look for Class Requests?" to better reflect what this discussion thread is about. :)
Edit to add link to the poll that I added as a reply further down this thread. **Please vote in the [poll](https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/instructors-where-would-you-like-to-look-for-class-requests/17558/13?u=lisaselk) to help us visualize which option is the most preferred. NOTE: I have set the poll as "public" - meaning that everyone will be able to see which option each person votes on.**

Here is a link to the poll:

1 Like

Alternately, we can consider adding a sub-category under the #classrooms category ~ so it’s in the same area as the #classrooms:interest-check …

Edit to add:

A few more minutes of thought, and yeah… I feel like a new sub-category for Class Requests would fit best under the #classrooms category ~ since there are two other related sub-categories there already:

I do like the idea. I’d like to know there is a demand for a class before putting it on the calendar.

1 Like

I’ve thought about this for a little bit, and my ultimate goal would be something that would tie back to the AD system. The user would log in to see a list of every class that has been offered in (debatable timeframe). They would check off their top (debatable number) classes that they’d like to see offered, and be able to also go back and change their answers whenever they would like. As they complete classes, it checks against the AD table of completed classes and removes their interest in it so that there is current data as to the desirability. It’d be a huge data mine to dig into. Unfortunately, I have exactly zero programming skill so no way to implement.

5 Likes

@Adam_Oas ~ that would be a great resource for members and instructors, I’m sure! It’s not something that I would know how to implement either… Perhaps once the code is public, some of our programmer members can look into it?! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In the meantime, where would you - as an instructor - prefer to check to see if members have requested classes? Under the committee related category? As a sub-category of #issues-requests? Or as a sub-category of #classrooms?

1 Like

Dunno. It might be a good idea to have them be separate from issues, so I guess under Classrooms.

1 Like

Any idea when this might happen? @AlexRhodes

I dont want to give a hard time line because I dont fully know his schedule but it should be on github in the next couple weeks. He is currently looking at the best way to segment it so sensitive data isn’t on github and look at how we want to integrate updating and branches. So far all updates have been manual but we will be connecting the server to github for pulls. Really don’t want to rush this part.

5 Likes

I think better under Classrooms somewhere.
I like the idea of it.

I think of the issue/request category more for problem/resolution and limited discussion. And also resolved/closed (and off radar).

1 Like

Interest check is the best place.

Instructors can use it to gauge interest before preparing a class.

People seeking particular instruction can post their requests. Instructors considering that subject becomes aware of the need.

Members in general can express interest to encourage the teaching of classes they find interesting.

There is synergy having all of this in one place.

3 Likes

Let’s make this easier to visualize with a poll…

Instructors: Where would YOU like to look for Class Requests?

NOTE: VOTES are PUBLIC on this poll (everyone can see which option you vote for…)
  • Continue posting class requests under the committee related category (no change)
  • Post in a new “Class Request” sub-category under the #issues-requests category
  • Post in a new “Class Request” sub-category under the #classrooms category
  • Post in the existing #classrooms:interest-check sub-category under the classrooms category

0 voters

[Click here to jump back up to the top of this thread]

Problem is, newbies aren’t going to know where to post, so they’re all going to go into the committee (at best) or more likely, General categories. But I posted my vote for what makes the most sense to me anyway. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a common “issue” for any type of post from new TALK users. We (moderators, level 4 forum leaders, and myself) generally either just move incorrectly posted messages where they most closely belong and/or politely point it out and suggest they move it… A learning curve is expected to some degree. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input! It’s much appreciated! :dms: :plasmacam_smiley:

1 Like

@bitta, I see you have been updating various “class request” type of threads today. Would you please consider taking a moment to vote on the poll in this thread, to help us decide the best way to encourage a centralized place for instructors to find the class requests that get posted by members. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

We make everything more complicated than it needs to be.

Interest check is not a category title that would suggest a “class request.” This would only increase the learning curve of the teachers knowing where to look and the posters knowing where to post.

Also, there is no reason to involve classroom committee as they don’t run the scheduling system nor do they tend to be the committee that the teacher even looks at. I’m not even sure if the classroom committee does anything at the space any more. Their role to date has been cleaning up the classrooms and maintaining the equipment.

Keep it obvious so the untrained can intrinsically post correctly.

1 Like

@Nick, What’s “obvious” to you may be the last place someone else may check. You posted a good point in the original post, which is why I am now requesting feedback from the members most likely to take advantage of the change.

Have you read through the comments? The options in the poll are a direct result of ideas that have been suggested so far.

Thanks again for the base idea! Don’t forget to vote in the poll! :slight_smile:

The thought that just occurred to me is that, once we’re agreed, we can make that a talking point during Tours. And, maybe a blurb in Events?

3 Likes

Perhaps even add it to the 411 wiki page and New Members handbook…?!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes