Instructables Makerspace contest 2017

Would people be willing to document and submit their projects? If so, we could win some cool stuff.

Discuss what you’d be willing to do below.

2 Likes

Here’s the short version of what it says. They want people to generate Intructables that they can post. Some Instructables will be “FEATURED” if they are particularly worthy (see below). The Makerspace teams that have the top four number of featured Instructables at the end of the contest (August 31) win an awesome load of prizes (with decreasing awards based on where you are in the top four). Every team with 15 featured Instructables also gets a lesser prize. This averages out to about one per week.

There are also some awards for individual projects that particularly demonstrate use of Fusion 360.

Summary of the criteria to be “Featured”:

You can enter ANY project, but they must have: multiple steps, full-text descriptions in each step, and photos for each step.

For an Instructable to be featured, the main criteria we look for are excellent documentation and reproducibility. …

Projects should be broken into enough steps to be easy to follow, with sufficient photos and explanatory text to allow the reader to understand the process.

Projects should be complete and contain all the information needed so others could reasonably duplicate the project (if the reader were to have the necessary skills and access to similar tools and materials.)

Lists should be included of parts/materials/ingredients/tools used …
Whenever possible, the inclusion of downloadable files, PDF patterns, and so forth is desirable.

For a Homepage Feature, here are some additional things we look for:

• Overall stellar documentation
  • Beautiful cover images
  • Content that is highly reproducible and has that “wow, awesome!” factor

Note that high levels of ingenuity, creativity, innovation, and/or utility in a project will often compensate for various areas of weaknesses in documentation …

2 Likes

I would be happy to help document. I imagine most classes at the space would qualify to become an instructable so it shouldn’t be too much additional work

EDIT: @AlexRhodes we have the Derwent classes where I’m going to teach how to ink dye fabric, and will be having one on jewelry resins/inclusions, the water etching for ceramics, a cray pen encaustics one and I’m not sure what else. Probably one on underglaze transfering with newsprint since it was requested. Are those fitting with the challenge or does it need to be more hardcore makery?

3 Likes

The more quality submissions the better… Please feel free to submit anything that is well documented and has a “WOW” factor (that follows the rules, of course…) :smile: