Input requested for a possible new machine for CA - just an idea

I’ve been doing dye sublimation for 7 years now. I started with an Epson C88 printer, and would NOT recommend it to anyone. The print heads clog if it isn’t used daily. If you really want a good printer, go with one of the Sawgrass Virtuoso printers. They are based on Richo gel print engines and have been specifically modified to handle sublimation inks. Sawgrass is THE company to go to for sublimation inks.

Here is the rub with sublimation. Shirts must be poly-performance fabrics, or at least 50/50 in my experience. Sublimation ink bonds with the polyester to form a permanent bond. It does NOT adhere to natural materials. If you sublimate a 50/50 shirt, the first time you wash it you will lose all of the dye on the cotton threads and end up with a faded look. Also, you cannot sublimate on to dark colors. White is best, but pale blues, yellows, pinks and greens will work. There is no white sublimation ink, so if you print a photo on a blue shirt, all of the whites will be the color of the shirt. Hats work exactly the same way.

For other items, like tiles, mugs, jewelry, hardboard, etc., the item must have a special coating to accept the sublimation inks.

@uglyknees, I love sublimation, and would be willing to bring in some of my equipment if you would like to see what can be done. It is a wonderful way to decorate with full color, and can make beautiful things.

Edit: I would also recommend www.Sublimation101.com for equipment purchases related to dye sublimation. I’ve been working with Michael since I got into sublimation, and he is now more friend than supplier. He provides wonderful technical support after the sale. and has a wealth of knowledge in all areas of digital decoration. Tell him Cary from Laser Wonders sent you.

2 Likes

It has to be specially coated leather, for sublimation to work.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. What kind of special coating? What does the print look like? I know there are people interested in lasering leather and others who paint on leather so I presumed that someone would be interested in using this on leather.

I appreciate the personal information shared on the process and the tools. That is what makes DMS one of the coolest places. You don’t have to always learn the hard way to use a new tool. Chances are someone has already done it and knows the pitfalls.

It is a polyester coating. There are places that sell DIY coatings, but I’ve never tried it, and haven’t read many good results. I usually buy pre-coated products. For leather blanks, they generally have a white finish so that photo applied to them have correct colors. Sublimation inks are not opaque.

I i hope it all works out, cause I like the idea of being to make custom
transfers, kinda like tournament shirts or special occasion “one offs”.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tournament+shirt+transfers&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir8pmQiN_KAhWHYyYKHdAHDaUQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=d0oWCkjMR5hvFM%3A

You can’t print white with sublimation, and you can’t print on dark colors. White is best, light colors will work, but will alter the color of you print since the ink is not opaque.

Yes yes and yes. Please. When are you free to hang? I’m out for the weekend and after that it’s a toss up. I need to search your brain a bit.

According to http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/Epson_Bubble_Jet_Set_2000_p/epsonbubblejetset2000.htm
we can use the current Epson printer to print on fabric.

I have a bottle of Bubble Jet Set 2000 to treat the fabric, 100% cotton or silk is recommended. You just need to treat the fabric and iron on the fabric to freezer paper and run it through the printer.

I would much rather buy a specific printer for this rather risk breaking our large format printers with fabric. I’ve run fabric into a printer before and killed it. So no fabric (besides the canvas) in the printer ever please.

Ok so I’ve done a solid 30 seconds worth of research :wink:

I’ve looked at the $670 press setup from sublimation 101and it looks great but the $300 press via amazon is very enticing just because we don’t know the level of interest here at the space and it seems like something we could store easily (I honestly think the interest will be very high-I would use it quite a bit). Since you have experience in this area - what do you think about the press on amazon. (see link above)

[the printer] (http://www.uscutter.com/Sawgrass-Virtuoso-SG400-Dye-Sublimation-Printer)] Cary was speaking of

If you are set on Amazon, then I’d say spend the extra $32.47 to get this 8-in-1 Press.

One nice thing about having a heat press is you can do other things than just the dye sublimation. You can cut heat transfer material on the vinyl cutter, and apply it with the heat press. You can use it to cure the plastisol inks when screen printing. You can buy pre-printed transfers, and apply them with the heat press. You can make a panini (just joking, the cheese makes a mess).

There is a trade show coming to Arlington on March 10-12. The vendors always bring printers and heat presses to sell at the show at a discount. I’m going and can talk to some of the ones that I have relationships with about a deal.

I know others have mentioned Johnson Plastics, in Carrollton, as a resource for acrylic, but they also sell dye sublimation printers, heat presses, and blanks. It might be worth talking to them about possibly working with us to get some equipment.

If you want to do a trial to see how much interest there is, I don’t mind loaning my small press and sublimation printer to the space for a month or two. I can teach a few classes on both dye sublimation, and heat transfer materials.

Edit: I just realized that I missed one of your main questions, @uglyknees. I will be around the space tonight, after 5pm, but next week is pretty much a no-go for me. I’m helping to run a bowling tournament next weekend, and will be tied up with that from Tuesday through Sunday. After Valentines Day my life gets much less hectic.

I would suggest getting a great flat heat press with replaceable platens. I use this one at my office and love how it works, Hotronix Fusion. With this we can cure screen printed shirts or apply heat transfer vinyl. This would finish two options of apparel decoration that we currently have available to DMS.

I’m not a fan of Dye-Sub for all of the reasons @CaryLW highlighted. I’ve found in my work many customers find the idea of Dye-Sub much more appealing than the product.

Also, when getting a heat press, don’t forget the Teflon Pressing Sheets. These are a consumable that is a must for a heat press, because they keep what your are transferring from sticking to the heating element. Without Teflon Pressing Sheets your design may leave a residual image on the heating element and can transfer to the later items you press.

I think dye sublimation is more useful for hard goods, than for shirts, unless you are doing all-over prints, or cut-and-sew applications. It is OK for wearables, but the color of the garment plays into the end result so much. For things like cell phone cases, ceramic tiles, coffee mugs, dog tags, jewelry, ornaments, slate, plates, aluminum panels, etc., it can be used to create beautiful personalized items. All of those items can be purchased with white coatings so that your colors stay true. Aluminum panels can also be purchased with a clear coating over brushed silver or gold, which makes photos really pop. I’ll bring some samples to the space.

I think Cary’s 8-1 would be a better overall buy. I have no doubt the presses Nick recommends are better - but their cost is out of our reach at this point.

I’ve done dye sub before and agree they are not as durable as other forms of printing - but they are inexpensive and easily doable. I think the key thing is the training class that teaches using this equipment stresses getting the proper type material (from what I’ve read at least 50% poly not 100% natural fibers) and the the fact they wash/fade. I think as long as we make clear the the pluses (ease of use) and minuses (durability) then there shouldn’t be any legitimate complaints.

I like the fact it can do mugs and hats - I think those alone will be sufficient to drive interest. I think it would be cool to have mug that reads: Current Project - Helping Makers Make

I’ve got what is probably the same 8-in-1 that I’m willing to loan to the Space to test interest. I’ll be at the Space tonight, if anyone wants to talk about this.

1 Like

I’ll be around. Appreciate your effort.

@Photomancer, @uglyknees, Are either of you going to be at the Space this evening?

Here now, will be until tomorrow.

We are both here now - just saw this

I’m running a job on the laser right now. I’ll come find you when it finishes. CA Room???