InkScape Extension: Tabbed Box Maker

Looks like a pretty handy extension for InkScape:

http://www.keppel.demon.co.uk/111000/111000.html

after install, you’ll find it under InkScape - Extensions - Laser Tools - Tabbed Box Maker

1 Like

Should already be installed.

1 Like

interesting - I didn’t see it in the defailt 0.91 build…
I wonder what other goodies are available -
for example, found this extension to make elliptical tabbed boxes…

1 Like

It is on the laser PC (and I think the ones in the 3D Fab Room as well) under Extensions/Laser Tools/Tabbed Box Maker.

If you set both the kerf and the clearance to 0,01 inches the boxes fit together pretty well. You have to fiddle with the Minimum/Prefered (sic) Tag Width a little to make the tool happy.

I recommend grouping the components together once generated to make rearranging easier.

You can fairly easily make open-topped boxes by editing the top edge of the sides. The sides are symmetrical, so you only have to manipulate two of them, then clone for the other two sides. Choosing the 3 Piece Layout/Style is my preference in this case.

You can make telescoping lid boxes by making one box using the outside dimensions, then making a second box setting the inside dimensions to match the outer dimensions of the 1st box (plus perhaps 0.02" for clearance). Remove the top tabs from the 2nd box and invert it to slide over the inner box. Adding a half-moon to the open edge of the box makes opening/closing easy.

6 Likes

@HankCowdog

I think this would make a great subject for a class!

2 Likes

Sorry to necro this thread … but I’d like to use this tool. Does anyone know which computer(s) this might be on?

1 Like

here are some alternatives you can use prepare your files at home:
tabbed boxes
giftboxes

3 Likes

@talkers has a more versatile extension/web site for making tabbed boxes STLs. Unfortunately I can’t recall the details, so you’ll need to reach out to him (or use the resourses @nicksilva shared.

The plugin I modified is available in my folder on the Members drive, but I no longer recommend it since the one John teaches in the Laser Box class is better.

If you still want to use the plugin, PM me and I’ll locate where it is and include some notes on how to install it. I had to modify it for InkScape 0.94(IIRC) but haven’t maintained it since then.

2 Likes

I think he used https://www.makercase.com/

1 Like

I used that one first, and it’s a very good tool with several useful (but easy-to-use) options. But I wanted dividers and couldn’t get Makercase to generate them. Now I have to decide whether I’d rather have the dividers or the kerf adjustment - couldn’t find both in the same tool.

1 Like

I now use festi.info/boxes.py
Fantastic options, including living hinges.

They offer an inkscape extension as well.

3 Likes

@nicksilva linked to templatemaker.nl
I don’t use it, but find it a beautiful website with wonderful options for boxes.