Inkle loom making and weaving interest

I’ve already posted in the fiber arts facebook area, but wanted to here as well.

Yesterday I was up in Creative Arts working on my inkle looms and their projects. I had several people request a class from me on learning how to weave with them. In talking with some others, we came up with a good idea. Have a dual class (or 2 part class) on an upcoming Saturday. The first part would be from @dougemes demonstrating how to use the CNC to make inkle looms (he has made me at least 10 for a past class and personal use). At the end of this class, you would walk away with your own inkle loom. Then after a small break I would teach a class on how to use the loom and make your own designs. This way nobody has to worry about their being enough “class looms” at DMS for everyone to use, plus you can take your project home to work on when class is done. Would anyone else be interested in this type of class / project?

I will be coming up this Tuesday to Fiberholic to hang out, and talk with all the awesome fiber people as well. I’ll be bringing 3 of my looms with their current projects. I have previously taught inkle looming for a homeschool group for a semester long class and the projects those kids came up with and completed were amazing.

8 Likes

What can one make with an inkle loom?

1 Like

According to my notes for the blog article

woven materials up to about 48" in length, and 2.5" in width…

Here’s a very practical example camera strap from Chris:

1 Like

I like some of the ideas you’ve mentioned.

We do have some classroom ones (and a process for use), but always nice for folks to have their own. The classroom ones are also kinda small, which is good/bad.

I have some ideas combining your ideas, new ones, and our current setup. We also have a lot of No10 crochet cotton for teaching.

Looking forward to talking with you on Tuesday.

There’s definitely an interest in Inkle classes.

@Scott_Blevins
Re what to do with Inkle woven things

Basically this type of weaving is considered “narrow work” weaving, along with card/tablet weaving, kumihimo, ply-split braiding, fingerloop weaving, lucet, pickup weaving, and some other types. It can used for really anything you’d use a strong strap for…straps on bags, belts, tying things, camera and instrument straps, traditional girths for camels and horses (ply-split braiding), leashes. Historically, things that you’d now buy ribbon or cord to tie, it was woven in various techniques. Every country has its traditional version of narrow-work and tools for various practical and decorative functions.

Basic Inkle weaving is a great gateway to more complex techniques. The general working of Inkle is binary, meaning up/down. The patterning relies on the way the colors are warped. Then there are variants of that like Andean pebble weave, Baltic pickup, Norwegian band weaving, etc.

Then the next progression is introducing cards/tablets, which means increases the number of sheds, plus directional turning and flipping cards, which exponentially increases the complexity of patterns. These types of tools have been found in Viking graves and other places around the world and date quite far back. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, inkle weaving is a great start. We’ve been overdue for another beginner class so I’m thrilled Jen is up for teaching. I’ve been sort of the one in line to do it but haven’t had enough time. This is great. And we also have a teacher able to teach card weaving as well, once folks get a little practice Inkle weaving

See you Tuesday @bookpixie!

3 Likes