Injection molding

I couldn’t find any existing thread about this, and not sure what committee it would most likely appeal to, but I remember doing some injection molding as a Jr. High school shop project, and wondered if similar small machines were still available:

http://www.techkits.com/model_150/ordernow.html

1 Like

I would like to see using the HAAS to make injection molds. I see there’s a hollow mold for using Epoxy, I didn’t know Epoxy would hold up to thermoplastic temps. It would be cool if had a desktop injection mold machine, but I know space and funds are limited now.

We do have a vacuum former which I think is more exciting.

I don’t see this as near term, for both financial and other reasons. But I wanted to get it documented here in case others have interest or need in the future, or to seed ideas.

I looked into welding one up one time and it didn’t seem like a particularly difficult thing to fabricate

It would be grand to have a BabyPlast at DMS. However, Injection Molding machine are best suited for production runs where you have to create lots of parts. Though not the same thing, the 3D Printers at the space can satisfy most needs for individual production.

…X…

1 Like

That would be an amazing machine to have, but I think injection mold making is an entire art and science in itself that I’m sure it’s beyond my abilities. I think 3D printing is a good compromise for low production plastic parts.