Info help with engine swap tomorrow?

Engine swap with 2007 dodge caliber and also wondering about being able to leave the car right outside the garage if I’m not able to get it running in one night because I already have to have it towed there and happy to give a donation! Also not experienced with cars I just have to do this because I can’t afford a mechanic/new car I will be having friends help with labor bit honestly I probably the most knowledgeable about cars between my friends which isn’t saying much! and got incredibly lucky because I got the parts for free so really have to do this

2 Likes

We have a new parking policy you might want to review here: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/parking-enforcement/23105?u=lukestrickland . So you wont be able to leave the vehicle at DMS for more than 48 hours and if you do leave it be sure to park in one of the spaces closest to the building instead of across the drive in the neighbor parking.

1 Like

It says I don’t have access to that page? And thank you VERY much I’m hoping it’s a one day project but it’ll likely take more than 1 day

The DMS board of directors needs you to be aware that starting JULY 1st; all vehicles left for over 48 hours will be subject to being towed by the landlord at the vehicle owners expense. DMS owned vehicles and those used for teaching and classes are the only ones exempt.

Please do not park in the neighbor’s areas during business hours.

This notice will be posted throughout DMS.

Thank you for being excellent outside the facilities as well as inside.

1 Like

I have sympathy for your situation, so let me try to (kindly, gently) explain the policy to you.

The policy is that if the car is there, you need to be there - and working on the car (aside from the obvious bathroom/lunch breaks of course). The policy czars realize that occasionally “stuff happens” so they aren’t likely to tow until it has been there more than one overnight. Don’t set your watch by 48 hours … I think “2 overnights” is a more likely case and could end up being 36 hours or so.

Also, be forewarned that your DMS friends will not be impressed if you put your car on the lift and then it can’t be removed for some period of time - especially on a weekend. I’m not talking about the case where you get it on the lift and then work on it continuously. I’m talking about the case where a car gets put onto the lift, someone works on it for a very long period of time, they collapse from exhaustion, they leave to sleep or to order/get more parts, and the car in its dismantled state is still on the lift.

If “stuff happens” and you can’t get the car finished on the first day, you need to have someone help you push it off the lift and outside so it’s not blocking the lift. And then you need to be prepared for the possibility that when you return the next day to push it back up the ramp and onto the lift - the lift might be in use.

5 Likes

Just found out i can’t have an operator use the lift for me since the title would have to be in their name so will only be using an engine hoist and definitely appreciate the heads up on less than 48 hours!! and likely will only be parked next to the garage most of the time since I don’t wanna hog the space for others to use while I work on my car
But will be towing it back if needed just MUCH easier if can avoid that

1 Like

If the car is yours and you take the lift class then you can use the lift to work on your car
Most engine swaps can be done without the use of the lift tho, especially in SUV like vehicles that offer more ground clearance than a typical passenger car.

2 Likes

Remember we are first come, first served - so get there as early in the morning as you can so you can get an open bay, other wise you an crew will be waiting. 7 or 8 am would probably guarantee a spot. So line your tow job for very early.

When I know I need to work on my car I get there early (for some who 11AM is getting up early, being there, well ARRIVING, not LEAVING there at 7AM), is brutal.

Good luck on the project!

2 Likes

Only lift I can handle doing an engine swap/other maitence with some people I’m also providing pizza for lol I’m low income which is why I have to do the car work myself (if you wanna help with the engine more than welcome but dont expect you to at all) I’m just not certified to operate the lift, and it would extremely appreciated![quote=“TheRealMaryjane, post:1, topic:23277”]
welcome
[/quote]

UPDATE: won’t use the lift due to rules but pizza offer still applies if interested in helping!
I do have other people to help with labor but none of us are really experienced with this work

The policy used to be that you can’t use the lift for someone else.

You may be able to get trained though. I think Thursday is usually a good day for that.

@TLAR
Is the policy still that other people can’t lift your car for you?

2 Likes

Your single run-on sentence here could use some punctuation and clarity. It appears that you are swapping a motor on the lift? The operator of the lift is by my memory only allowed to lift vehicles that they hold the title to, and even if they were to put your car on the lift, they would need to remain there the entire time for an engine swap, as the car would have to come up and down a number of times.

Tom is usually really good about getting people trained.
Edit: Beaten by a fraction of a second!

3 Likes

I’ve found engine swaps easier not using a lift. The engine hoist is a great tool.

Edit: Didn’t mean to respond to you Adam :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Do I have to have any training to use the hoist or no?

As far as I know you do not need DMS training to use the Hoist, however I’d do some research or find someone who knows how to use it to help you. Dropping an engine on DMS floors would be real no bueno haha

1 Like

Thank you! And if you or anyone else interested in helping the pizza offer still stands

The gantry crane and engine hoist can be used without training. The two post car lift requires training.

2 Likes

Thank you and appreciate the reply!

Are the other people you are bringing in dms members as well?

2 Likes

Per what Pearce stated above - only Members of the Makerspace may use the Lift.

LIft training is required - and is a one time fee of $20 and takes less than 20 minutes for most folks

The name on the title of the car doesn’t matter - if the car is yours or a family member you are good to go(once trained)

The engine hoist requires common sense but no formal training - but if you get oil, grease, dirt etc on it, please clean it before putting it back. This applies to the other tools and equipment in automotive (and everywhere else in the Makerspace). No one wants to pick up a wrench or anything else and get a handful of oil or slime because “someone” didn’t take the 30 seconds to clean off the tools before putting them back where they belong

3 Likes

Also, to use DMS tool you need to be a DMS member we are lax on wrenches, hammer, ect. But, operating hoists and tools that can easily hurt people or DMS property should only be done by members of DMS. Just echoing @PearceDunlap’s question about the other willing to help.

Sorry if we are all coming off as worry warts. You just sounded our alarms of brand new member to TALK, jumping right into a pretty major project, asking some questions that are common member knowledge, and admitting you don’t have experience in what you are wanting to attempt.

I’ll also share that you should make sure you can complete the project in a timely manner. Leaving the space with your vehicle in the auto bay for more than the time it takes to grab fast food or pick up a part is not acceptable. Also leaving a vehicle in the parking lot for more than 48 hours may end up in the vehicle being towed at owners expense.

Again, not trying to be a worry wart, just hoping you are informed on the rules. Best of luck with your Engine Swap, hope it goes off without a hitch.

5 Likes