In withdrawals, had to build my own shop

Well after returning to StL and realizing how much I miss DMS I decided to build my own shop again. It won’t give me the social aspect I loved so much but in a month I’ll be able to build something! Decided to go all out this time and bought large equipment so I can do anything I want. Even went all 3 phase since I’ve had better luck in the past. Hope to stop by next week when I’m intown.

19 Likes

Nice! Time to put a beer fridge in and invite friends over!

I have an electronics shop here that’s almost 600sq ft. and it’s a lot more fun when friends are over working on projects. :slight_smile:

(Of course, beer comes out only after tools are put up.)

3 Likes

Video? Pics? Do share…

Right now it’s a mess but soon. I have to clean all the equipment since the manufacturer coats everything in cosmoline. Spent several hours this evening cleaning the saw. With any luck I’ll get the slider attached this weekend and run a test cut if the blade comes in. Problem with big equipment is nothing can be bought locally, woodworking stores don’t sell a 315mm saw blade with a 30mm arbor. Setting this thing up takes more than any woodworking equipment I’ve ever dealt with. Had to order machinist indicators today to set everything up to spec.

It’s been a real journey and I didn’t take near enough pics of this adventure. I found a deal on a complete set of equipment that was bought for a commercial woodworking business but never opened. Everything was still packed on pallets never used. Had to rent a 26ft truck with a 3000lb lift gate. Ryder calls me the day before I leave to tell me my reservation does not guarantee a truck since I’m not a contract customer and they don’t have a truck! Then they call again day of and say they have one that is broke but will fix it by 4pm for me. I show up and they couldn’t fix it so they gave me a refrigerated truck. Drove it to Chicago to purchase and load. After getting it back parked the truck on a hill overnight for it not to start the next day, had it towed. This meant I had to pull the equipment up hill, 1400 lbs per pallet, to the back of the truck so I could unload with a forklift I borrowed. Luckily I had some help!

6 Likes

What makes this funny, to me, is that this has happened EVERY TIME I’ve been involved in renting from Ryder (3x, as I recall). It’s like it’s standard issue.

Glad to hear you got it worked out. Sounds like a good short story. Wonder if you could sell that off to recoup some of what I’m guessing was a bit of a cost for the adventure.

Miss having you around more!

You might check out Arch Reactor. It’s the Stl makerspace down on Jefferson across from old union station. They don’t have a big woodshop, but they do have a good community, some 3D printers, lasers, etc. they’re all really nice guys!

1 Like

Soldering irons and alcohol don’t mix. :smiley:

Well, when they do it smells like chicken.

1 Like

I picked up a new blade for my 8" Ryobi circular saw this weekend. I have a ways to go.

3 Likes

Not picture worthy but I finally was able to test a few of the machines. The saw is still in pieces. Someday I’ll turn this storage garage into a shop.
16” jointer/planer 7.5hp 3 phase
24” bandsaw 5.5hp 3 phase
Sliding tablesaw/shaper 7.5 hp 3 phase

8 Likes

Very nice! :blankspace:

I thought I saw a memo on your boss’s desk that your company was relocating back to Dallas?

1 Like

Man, did you hit the lotto? Those are some very nice looking tools.

What kind of work are you planning to do? I didn’t see a a lathe in their yet either. Do you still have yours at your friends place?

I hope I can catch up with you next time you’re in town, but I’m glad you’re able to build out your shop.

Ha, as eventful as the move was to get the equipment I’d find a new job before hauling it 700 miles.

1 Like

My lathe is still at a friends. Once I get set up to build out the rest of the shop I’ll bring it back. I’ve always look at this brand, just never pulled the trigger on spending the money. Decided if I was going to rebuild I would buy what I want this time. I’ll probably make little boxes.

2 Likes

Wow, when our MakerSpace grows up, I hope we can get such beautiful tools. Though Jimmie’s Laguna is close.

Congrats Matt