In Private Meeting, Facebook Exec Warns News Outlets to Cooperate or End Up Dying in 'Hospice'

“During a closed-door and off-the-record meeting last week, top Facebook executive Campbell Brown reportedly warned news publishers that refusal to cooperate with the tech behemoth’s efforts to ‘revitalize journalism’ will leave media outlets dying ‘like in a hospice.’”

“We desperately need to develop alternative delivery mechanisms to Facebook.”
—Judd Legum, ThinkProgress

I’ve got a profile on mewe.com, it’s a fair alternative but still in infancy. They allow gun sales.

UGE Tube is an alternative to the youtube

https://videos.utahgunexchange.com/

#fzuk
#fgoogle

I have a two phase proposal.

Phase I: Encourage people to quit Facebook and other social media.

Phase II: Encourage Congress to pass legislation to ban Facebook and other social media platforms from allowing anyone under 18 to have an account.

I agree with #1, with regards to #2 less government works for me. PS kids under 18 aren’t using FB anyhow much.

1 Like

You are on social media right now reading this.
Some is better than others.

I think we need less government and enforce the laws we have.
This would also mean that we couldn’t have some of our members on Talk.

1 Like

Well this seems like just another empty scare tactic article. Here is the original article, which gives just a touch more info, but still very hollow. https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/zuckerberg-doesnt-care-about-traditional-media/news-story/d1be791f1b91e3c1fc609cf8979b72e2

There is nothing of real substance here, it is just a you need to fear facebook smear. I’m not a big fan of facebook as I try to use it as little as possible. But, instead of jumping on a BS band wagon, lets push for better journalism than this trash.

2 Likes

Well … the page you posted is outright blocked by uBlock web blocker. Reloaded it and now I get a paywall.

I agree … most posts on FB are misleading in some way if not completely wrong …

Wow, I got to it through your article by following the link to the twitter post and then following a link from twitter to the article. It is surprising how some paths lead to a pay wall and others don’t.

Yeah,

In the past I would get tired when people would post responses based solely on the mis-leading headlines of an article without even reading the article. Now journalism has gotten so bad that news outlets are effectively just re-posting the misleading head lines and when you try to read the article you only get the first paragraph of the original article. This just isn’t journalism and treating it as such only bolsters that BS.