Impromptu Lift Class Tonight 9PM

If all goes well I will be teaching an impromptu lift class tonight around 9PM if the lift is available. All are welcome and the class is $50.00 per person paid in cash or via the paypal to the automotive committee(I have the links for those interested and their is a QR above the lift but do not pay until you meet with me at the lift to ensure we can do it tonight). After the class and testing to ensure you can properly use the lift you will be given the combo for the lift power control so you can use the lift when you like.

Those interested please shoot me an email if you plan to attend at [email protected] or message me on hangouts at [email protected], this is not required but would be nice. You can just show up. I have my photo in my talk profile so you can see what I look like.

4 Likes

Should a class be able to charge if its impromptu?

Yes

why? should it not be under the same rules has honorariums?

It’s for lift access, goes to auto committee. Honorarium is a separate optional thing you can apply for uf you schedule a class far enough out.

1 Like

We have the option to do both scheduled and unscheduled classes. This is not a scheduled class because I had an opportunity come up to teach one as I would have a reason to already be at the space on the lift. I also teach these classes one on one for anyone who asks when I have availability. If I was being paid an honorarium I could see it needing to be scheduled. If I was even being paid at all I could see possibly needing it to be scheduled though in my opinion I don’t see a need for that. That being said I am not being paid for teaching these classes and do it in my own free time.

The reason we have to schedule classes in order to be paid honorarium or get honorarium for the committee’s is so the board has time to review the class to ensure it merits DMS paying an honorarium. Also to give them time to get it on the calendar to help boost attendance.

For this class it is a specific user/class fee for using the lift that every person who wants to use the lift has to pay to the committee. It is already approved class material and is taught to all those who use the lift. The funding goes to help provide for the auto committee’s tools and supplies.

3 Likes

This class is for sure going to happen for those interested.

1 Like

We have no restrictions on when a member holds a class, whether it’s paid or not.

Naturally, there will usually be better attendance if a class is scheduled out in advance.

The only time based restrictions are when members would like to request honorarium. In those cases, the member must follow the current rules for honorarium:

Here is more information about teaching classes at Dallas Makerspace, in general:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/teach/

Here is a direct link to the current honorarium rules:.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Honorarium

2 Likes

I’ll re-quote engpin’s text, as I believe this was an abuse of flagging. He has a valid concern, even if I don’t share it.

-> Moderator, please split this thread <-

Now there’s an interesting point: Can committees force someone to fork over money to use a DMS resource? If I am trained to train others on equipment and offer my training up for free, are my trainees “authorized” after the class?

(edit: if I had hovered over to the right of the original post, I’d seen the little plus and "reply as linked topic. sorry :frowning: )

2 Likes

I’m not on my computer at the moment, so my view is different; but there should be a link that you can use that’s along the line of ‘reply as a linked topic’ that will create a new thread using your reply and a link back to the original message…

LOL ~ yeah, that’s it! :slight_smile:

I " type " considerably slower on my phone, too. :wink: :slight_smile:

Voice to text, FTW…
(I kid. Mine doesn’t really work any better that way, but it’s a lovely thought, if you can get away with “talking to yourself” when you’re trying to type :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Honorarium classes require the advanced notice because DMS pays the instructor. If we could all host classes with minimal notice, that would not serve the community well with community funds.

If someone wants to host a class that they wouldn’t have otherwise hosted, why should we care when they do it if they aren’t sucking money from DMS? Like, if only two people show up, that’s two more people that have been certified. Sure, if it had been announced, maybe it could have been 10 people. But are we really about to stop volunteers from certifying people because they could have done more? Not unless we’re paying them.

2 Likes