Importing svg images into easel

Has anyone tried to import a SVG file from inkscape to easel. I keep getting a message the file won’t be accepted because of imbeded paths or noise etc. The solution easel offered is below. I tried different svg file formats from inkscape and different path commands but to no avail. Has anyone faced this problem? Any help would be appreciated. I even tried to import into vcare. But that didn’t offer the file format svg of dxf files.

SVG Import Guide

Easel supports only certain SVG files that can be imported. Here are some common hiccups that you might encounter and some suggestions on how to fix them:

Importing Text

Due to variations in fonts, Easel does not currently support importing SVG text elements. However, you can still import your custom text with a custom font, you just need to follow these steps:

• Adobe Illustrator Select all objects and select Object -> Expand
  • Inkscape Select all objects and use the keyboard command Ctrl+Shift+C
  • Corel Draw In the SVG Export dialog, in the section called “Export Text” make sure “As Curves” is the selected option (not “As Text”). Thanks to forum user ChetKloss for this tip.
  • Other programs You need to convert your text into paths, which means making it un-editable as text. If there is an equivalent to ‘Create Outlines’ or ‘Expand’, that is what you are looking for.

Import
Embedded images

Although SVG is a vector format, it actually allows embedding images that are not vectors. Easel cannot process these images, and they’ll have to be removed.

Import
Converted DXF files

If you are converting a DXF file from a CAD program to an SVG, there can often be some issues with paths not being joined together properly. If your file is importing as a series of disjoint paths, rather than a single object, this might be the cause. In order to solve this problem, you’ll have to join the individual line segments. This is usually done by selecting all the objects and running a “Join” or “Weld” command (depending on the editor).

Import
Complex files

If you are using an SVG traced from an image, try to simplify the file as much as possible before importing it. Traced images often contain many unneeded paths that can choke up Easel, including white filled background paths and extremely small noise paths that aren’t desired. It is much easier to simplify this SVG in your vector editor before bringing it into Easel.

I regularly import Inkscape svg files (created on the DMS computers) into Easel. I have had no trouble, however I have not tried Inkscape text.

My typical workflow is:

1. Create a true vector image in Illustrator
  2. Import the .ai file into Inkscape
  3. Stroke the vectors inside Inkscape (which probably isn’t necessary)
  4. Save as .svg
  5. Import that into Easel

Just as a curiosity, are your Inkscape vectors thin enough to be recognized as vectors? I use 0.001". Some programs think thicker vector strokes are actually raster images.

Out of curiosity what is ‘Easel’ used for?

1 Like

It’s the simple post-processor for the Shapeoko. Others can be used, but it is the easiest.

1 Like

I have and have never had a problem. Saved as an svg from inkscape and opened in easel. Did you make your text a path?

It wasn’t text it was an outline of an image. Very basic. . I saved as svg file but no luck.Maybe currupted some how, I"ll try again with a different picture or different site.
Thanks

Fixed it by tracing a bezier curve,saving as svg. Worked perfect…
Thx for your input

3 Likes

Brian, I am curious about the original file. Can you email it to me please?
[email protected]

@John_Marlow text needs to be flattened to true vector.
In inkscape: select text. Menu Path>Object to path

In Adobe Illustrator: select text. Menu Type>Create Outlines.
There is a similar function with expand?

Expand does pretty much the same thing as “create outlines”; but is not limited to text conversion. It can also make an outline into a stand-alone object, separate from the item it is theoretically outlining.

2 Likes