I'm waiting to hear but, my recent auto troubles ended up in an engine swap. So

With that being said I might have a mostly complete 4 cylinder engine if @Team_Automotive is interested in using it as an instructional aid to host classes on engine function and repair. If not i won’t pursue it.
Storage spot and an engine stand is all that I am thinking would be needed.

Thanks,
Woody

4 Likes

I’d be all over this. Getting to tear down one of these little MB workhorses would be a total blast. Too bad my dance card’s already overfilled…
I’ll plead with Tom to do it anyway, and post pics so I can live vicariously…

1 Like

YES, please.

I can pick it up as well. have car trailer and will round up help if needed.

I already have a nearly dead Kia bucket O shite engine that is going to be a tear down class for the “new to automotive / beginner”

6 Likes

This would be a donation to the space so it would be available for classes anytime.
if they don’t want it as a core.

2 Likes

On a related note, I know automotive has dismantled CVTs for classes, but if there’s any interest in conventional planetary automatics, I’ve got a wasted box in my garage I’d be willing to donate for instructional purposes as well. Obviously, filling up the auto square with junk powertrain assemblies isn’t something any of us wants, just tacking this on there while I’m thinking of it.

1 Like

I have two realistic options for that…

One is air cooled and self contained-could be started on the floor - no stand required for running (would need a battery and a fuel can).

second - would be a liquid cooled option - but that would require much more in way of a “test stand” which we don’t have the room for, nor the water source…(without locking up a radiator, fan etc) and cooling system, exhaust/muffler system etc.

2 Likes

Anyone have a test stand they’d be willing to let auto borrow for the demo? More appropriately, anyone thinking of making a test stand that auto can borrow for the demo?

The rest of the problems are a bit easier to resolve- generic flex hoses, some kind of radiator, one of the shop fans, some cheap slip-on exhaust bits. Storage would be an issue if any of that stuff was keeps, but somebody’s got to have a spare radiator they’d be willing to bring up for a test stand demo. I would, if my spare’s trans cooler fittings hadn’t given up the ghost all over my garage floor.

Just an idea. I dig the idea of an air-cooled demo too.

I seem to recall that there was a very robust engine stand at DMS several years ago. It had a Ford turbo diesel engine on it and it was run on the stand. Strictly a functional test.

Russell Ward_

1 Like

As I recall it was a GM Duramax diesel, and the whole thing was owned by a member, who had worked out some deal with metal shop to store it indefinitely in their space.

2 Likes

It was not stored indefinitely, just as long as it was being worked on. Said engine and stand are no longer at DMS. Paging @william_petefish

At the time, I had a broken ankle and was working on getting it running while nursing my ankle. (Duramax 6.6 LB7)

I got it running on the stand, then tore it down for rebuild. Sent it off for rebuild and took everything home where I did the reassembly and still working out kinks. (i.e an oil leak)

4 Likes

Well it seems that they wanted the block back. So we can’t have that one. But I am looking for a cheap 4 cyl junk yard pull to use for a teaching block if the space is still interested in having one. I know that I would be interested in more automotive classes including engine rebuilding.

1 Like

I wanna say it was like 100k+, BUT I bought the engine off of ebay for a project. Didn’t tear it down past being a Long Block to have it rebuilt.

I did have them install the Head Stud Kit while they were doing the rebuild.

1 Like