I'm done with AutoZone - where should I buy a battery?

They don’t do installs last I checked. Carry out only. The core price depends on the battery which is usually around $20.

1 Like

I havn’t bought a battery for at least 3 years. I’ve had many batteries stop taking a charge and were confirmed bad when I brought them to the auto parts store but so far I’ve been able to restore all of them. Ever time I talk about it, it feels like it’s a infomercial because it sounds too good to be true but I’ve restored batteries that sat in a field for over a decade.

1 Like

Lots of good input here. I tend to agree with Costco being a slightly better than average option.

Consider this - Automotive batteries opt for higher capacity / amperage at the cost of longevity with thinner plates. I have opted for storage batteries (such as the ones used for electric boat motors) for my vehicles for almost ten years. They are not invincible but my 97 Dodge Ram truck (with 2 battery) is still going and I don’t really use it much. They have lower peak amperage but this has never been a problem.

I also tend to put a battery knife switch on the ground lead at the battery and open the circuit whenever I park the vehicle at work or overnight (well not always). The parasitic drain on both of my vehicles seems a bit high. I also have a diode protected 5W solar charger for the truck that I leave in the circuit and in the windshield.
Yeah, you might have to reset your radio if you remove all power but my vehicles are old and have no other stuff that needs constant power. And your radio car opener won’t work.
Perhaps I should install a small battery just plugged into the 12V adapter internal to the car to backfeed this stuff when I kill the main battery. Hmmmm.