I'm done with AutoZone - where should I buy a battery?

Bought a AutoZone “duralast gold” battery in 2014, I think it was a 48-month warranty. It died 2-1/2 years later, got another one under warranty in 2016, now that one is dead.

Since I know where not to get a battery, where’s a good place? :smiley: There’s a Napa and a O’Reilly at the same intersection as my neighborhood AutoZone. Also have Wal-Marts nearby. I’m not a Sams or Costco member.

Thanks!

I just bought one from Pep Boys. Mine died (bad cell) - first time I’ve ever had a problem with their battery. It had a 2 year warranty - it died at 27 months. They gave me a very healthy prorated allowance.

They have just changed to a different brand (that I now have) that has a 30 month warranty.

Unless someone can suggest a battery that doesn’t fail, at least the generous pro-ration helps out.

1 Like

If you’re a costco member, or know someone who is, I swear by interstate batteries!

5 Likes

Maybe someone with more seasoned knowledge can chime in here, but I understood that the Texas heat just chews up batteries. my experience has been about one every three years on average. I just make sure to get one with a slightly longer warranty if available and then I don’t pay full price next time I have a failure. I also believe they make special batteries for the hotter climates as well.

2 Likes

Walmart, they offer batteries w/ 3+ year warranties and you can exchange them almost anywhere.

5 Likes

Walmart has been pretty good with me and their everstart batteries. They no longer give a full replacement 5 year warranty anymore. But, the everstarts do have a 3 year full replacement warranty and an additional 2 year prorated return. Meaning you have some kind of a warranty for 5 years. But, make sure when you have to claim the warranty that they replace with the same battery. I got swindled by a walmart while on vacation and they replaced my battery with a different brand. When that battery failed in just over a year, Walmart claimed it wasn’t under warranty as the battery I had in the vehicle only had a 12 month warranty. Luckily, I still had all purchase receipts and warranty replacement receipt to prove it was a walmart error and not mine. But, they did want to leave me high and dry until I proved that.

But, in the end, Batteries are either great and last near forever, or your stuck in a cycle of replacing them every 1.5 to 2.5 years and you better have a warranty longer than that if you don’t want to buy new batteries in that time.

3 Likes

Interstate(thru Costco) has the best prices for the warranty length. (36months for ~$86 after $15 core returned). Every other battery for the same application with a comparable warranty cost more with some being at closer to $200 at the usual auto parts store.
Those in the same price range(but still cost more) came only with a 12 month warranty.
Previous battery was from 2013 with an 18 month warranty from an independent repair shop, forgot what brand it was.

Edited out: Wrong info.
But here’s some of Costco’s shopping policies:

2 Likes

Jay,

Which car?

I can possibly put one out for you tomorrow at will call or you can meet me at a Costco or Sams - or reimburse me for either.

chime in here or PM etc.

For my F150 - I buy replacement batteries from Ford (on it’s third one sine 1999). I do the installation of course. Their warranty is outstanding and their sales are too.

1 Like

Costco. Costco. Costco.

4 Likes

Costco and their Interstate batteries have my vote.

4 Likes

For Ford trucks it’s nothing but Motorcraft batteries. the original lasted 8 years and the replacement was still going strong when we traded it off.

For my MX-5, Mazda changed up battery makers so I went with Interstate. I picked it up at Firestone and installed it myself.

1 Like

I have replaced a lot of Interstate Batteries, too. Also, I know Auto Zone has tried to improve batteries in Texas, by coming out with the Heavy Duty version (HD in the part number). Most common failures, is a bad cell by all manufacturer caused by heat.

3 Likes

Taking 2 hours to test and warranty a battery that just came off the charger killed any chance of me buying another Walmart battery. Sam’s has been my best experience on average lately, in that I don’t remember one failing in warranty.

1 Like

I appreciate the offer! I found one at Napa next door to Auto Zone last night. Decent price for something I’ll probably be replacing in 2 years anyway. The battery I had has a 2 out of 5 rating on Auto Zone’s web site, and it’s the “Gold” model. Sheesh.

You know your batteries fail too often when your hands only get “soap and water” dirty swapping them out. :smiley:

1 Like

Sam’s is the same batteries as Wal-Mart, possibly with a different label slapped on.

1 Like

That’s almost certainly the case. There’s only three manufacturers in North America that manufacture pretty much all of the lead acid batteries. Exide Technologies, East Penn Manufacturing, and Johnson Controls. Brands like Duralast and EverStart are just rebranded from one of those three manufacturers.

4 Likes

I was here, too.
Here’s a Consumer Reports report on batteries

Scroll down to “brands” and it enumerates some factoids, including what Luke just posted.

PS: had no idea Johnson Controls makes batteries…

1 Like

Yep, Johnson Controls is in the middle of selling off their battery division now. Last i heard it would be complete this fall (public knowledge)

3 Likes

As an alternative to the chains for local shops, Metroplex Battery. They can do walk ins for a lot, or you can order. Mostly commercial stuff, and I’ve never had an issue with a battery I’ve gotten from them.

3 Likes

When I bought one last, they didn’t even offer to install it! I just carried it out.

4 Likes