If you use the woodshop, please read this

This is not an angry diatribe, just a wish for more excellence towards one another. (And there are those of you who this post will not apply to at all because you already ‘get it.’)

If you go into any shop area - machine shop, 3d printing, CA, Automotive, Jewelry, etc., users seem to respect the space and the person who will use it next. Tools are put back and messes are cleaned up. Not so the woodshop. For instance, if you make just one or two cuts, it takes just one or two sweeps of a brush to clean off the machine. If you are running a lot of stock, it takes 2 extra minutes to check the dust collector before you begin and only 10 more to empty it. Tool storage is a problem, but instead of adding to a pile, how about taking a few minutes and organizing a shelf. If you do a bunch of sanding with the power sanders, how long would it take you to put the used discs in a stack and vacuum the table off? My enjoyment of the space decreases, as does the pleasure of doing actual work decreases exponentially when I walk in and see trash everywhere.

I’m not perfect - even if I clean up 9 times out of 10, I’ve certainly been guilty of making that 1 cut, then walking away. Or forgetting I had that t-square out and left it on the tablesaw. Sometimes it is benign forgetfulness…sometimes I have to leave right then. But I’ll try harder if you will.

Here’s wishing for a more collaborative environment in 2017!

28 Likes

As a constructive suggestion, could we buy more brushes to keep at individual machines? It frequently takes a long time to find one of the (scarce) brushes and I suspect that reduces the motivation to be excellent.

6 Likes

I did this a few months ago when they were on sale at Harbor Freight:

To no avail, of course. The Wood Shop is essentially a pig sty pretty much all the time now, and majority of the users generally treat it the way a baby treats a diaper. In fact it has reached a point such that I have stopped teaching Wood Shop Basics as a result.

4 Likes

Where did the new brushes go? The last time I was there ( a couple days ago) I didn’t see any of them. And I was looking - I wanted to clean up from “just one cut”.

1 Like

I did not see them tonight. One similar brush with no label and the thing that resembles a broom-without-a-handle. The broom-without-a-handle was in a good place with the dustpans and brooms. There was a dustpan in a trash can (not cool). I did not notice it. Another member did and fished it out (cool).

For what it’s worth, big cheap paint brushes work well for band saws and drill presses.

2 Likes

I think this may answer your question, Chris :disappointed:

1 Like

Can you explain how to check and empty the dust collector in a post or is this better learned “hands-on”? As a novice in the woodshop I try to clean up in thanks for the help and support I’m always given there. Thanks!

1 Like

It is better learned hands-on…but just ask of those around you - my guess is someone can show you!

1 Like

I share your frustration, but don’t go thinking it’s not DMS wide in any area that’s heavily used. CA the morning of Christmas is a prime example. Hopefully Santa saw that…

I share your wish for a tidier 2017 at DMS!

2 Likes

Yeah, people are not even trying to clean up after themselves. I guess we’re gonna be forced to make a few examples, to get everyone’s attention. Time for a committee meeting I think.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re perfect to start teaching Wood Shop Basics classes again and stressing the proper way to treat the space so new members are influenced to change the unfortunate de facto state of things… totally not saying that because I also want some wood shop basics classes on the calendar for myself. :grin:

I’ve taken Woodshop Basics with @mblatz and he does stress the proper way to treat the space… Some people just don’t seem to care. :cry:

They are scheduled pretty often. Keep your eyes on the Calendar! :smiley:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org

1 Like

I happy to teach again when:

1. Eye doctor say I can back into a dust/particle environment (recently had my eyeballs lasered)
  2. Teaching WSB class stops being an unsafe, frustrating, and embarrassing experience
1 Like

I’ve been using the wood shop quite a bit lately and have (with the help of others sometimes) have to spend quite a bit of time clearing out the filters and dust collectors.

It was bad enough at one point that even after clearing the small collector and turning it on, there was enough dust/chips in the pipes to fill it back half way just from stuff being stuck.

I’ve noticed a lot of members aren’t familiar with how to clean/dispose of the dust collection so maybe quick classes or meet ups to show everyone would be something we can do in the future.

4 Likes

Wow - was at the woodshop yesterday…every person coming through and doing work was doing a thorough clean-up around the tools he or she had been using…maybe it is a new year! Thanks, all…

13 Likes

I originally brought in the yellow brushes and have a bunch more at the house.
I can bring some soon. I bought they as twice as long for a buck a piece and just cut them in half with my bandsaw and put a nylon string on them.

Jeff

3 Likes

Well that is absolutely tragic. :unamused: (and just to be clear - NOT sarcasm)

On woodshop gripe chain -

Nick2h meanbaby
Thanks @Kriskat30 and @Azalaket for the hard stance on this. It is something that I wish we had done from the beginning.

@meanbaby, the main concern is the Filters on the dust collection units. When they are clogged (reading a pressure of 5), the dust collection system is not working at optimum performance. These filters are held onto the dust collector with 8 or 10 hooks. I believe the current plan is to remove the filter (loosen the threaded hooks) and blow it out behind DMS. At this time you can empty the collection can as well if needed. I’ll tell you it is much easier to empty half full rather than completely full. Then just reassemble the unit and you are good to go.

Make sure to do a good job blowing out the filter, because if you half ass it, you will just hook it back up and notice the pressure is still maxed. Meaning you will have to do the process again. If you have done a thorough blow out and the pressure is still maxed, make a post on talk as the filter may be fully clogged.

1 Like

And to set proper expectations from experience, it can take 15-20 minutes to fully blow out a clogged filter. Multiple iterations of flipping, blowing from the inside, blowing from the outside, flipping again, repeat, repeat, repeat. If you are still blowing out dust it needs more.
WEAR A DUST MASK WHEN BLOWING OUT THE FILTER

4 Likes