Idle Hot === Bad

To whomever left 95 idling hot, please stop.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

2 Likes

Tried it, it malfunctioned quite often and either wouldn’t turn off the heat or wouldn’t let you control the heat properly.

2 Likes

Oooh, good to know. I installed it at home but haven’t tested it very thoroughly.

It might work for you, and they may have fixed it, but after a timeout I couldn’t get the polyprinters to heat up again unless it was printing (worked again after a reboot). Might be fine if you know the quirks, but I was pretty certain we’d get complaints of “broken” machines that wouldn’t heat up :slight_smile:

Just looked at the Github page and it hasn’t been significantly updated since 2017. So probably not :smiley:

Printers are left hot for hours for two reasons 1.) they pre-heat the printer and don’t turn it off without printing 2.) the polyprinter has some fault that causes a communication timeout and the polyprinter stays hot because it’s doing what it was told before it disconnected. Either way, when I hear the fans on and there is no filament I press the reset button on the printer to get it to turn off. Yes this does char the nozzle and heatbreak causing clogs.

I do have a fix from Polyprinter I need to update the Octoprint with but that only solves reason #2.

2 Likes

The person using the printer canceled a print with the filament switch open. Because the printer was running a command when the filament switch was opened, the printer stops responding until the filament switch is closed. The deadman is useless at that point.

The bottom line is that the person using the printer failed to supervise the machine. They left it in a state that, in the best case, is highly likely to clog the nozzle. In the worst case the next person will reach under the nozzle without realizing it’s at temperature then be badly burned.

2 Likes