Ideas for running Arduino / RPi / Electronics classes

Several folks have discussed offering new microcontroller classes with me. I’ve run over 20 such classes and seem to be the cheerleader in encouraging others to jump in. I try to give good info to all but I’m concerned that I leave good information out. I will be posting a number of short replies to this string over the next couple of weeks. My comments are my thoughts only and not recommendations or even suggestions. Please join me with sharing your ideas to encourage new teachers.

Thinking of developing a class?

Pick a subject that is of interest to you and think will be of interest to the DMS community.

What is the target audience? Do they need Arduino/RPi/Electronics experience? If it is for beginners some time will be required on installing the IDE, libraries,… The class announcement on the Event Calendar should indicate suggested level of expertise, if any.

How long will the class be? I always post two hours. I’m trying to hold lecture down to 25 minutes. These are Makers who want to Make - not listen to me talk.

Will you furnish parts or will they bring them? Will you have parts for sale? @artg_dms is acquiring Official Arduino Nanos for Electronics instructors to use in class. That is wonderful! I furnish all parts except notebook PC and smart phone for my classes but it can get costly.

Do you plan to repeat the class occasionally? That means it would justify a lot of prep time and could fund your own collection of parts.

Will you have sample programs? How many? How will students access them?

Do you plan to have a PowerPoint or other prepared presentation? I believe it is important to have students leave class with access to good documentation to allow them to later review the material and programs. I average about 25 PowerPoint slides which start with an overview, moves through the subject and ends with a Resources page with info on installation of the IDE, driver, libraries,…

For a while, I had students download a zip file with demo programs. That is challenging to some. I have moved to having the individual programs in .txt format on a web server. The PowerPoint presentation has links to these. Clicking the link will display the text which can be copied to the IDE.

You do not have to be an expert in the subject but you should be very familiar with the presentation material and questions that could be expected.

6 Likes

Re: DMS-acquired Nanos…(@artg_dms )
How many are we planning to acquire? And when do we expect to have them? THANK YOU!

1 Like

Why should ELab buy $22.00 Official Arduino Nanos?

Art can handle the specifics of Bernard’s question but here is some background of the purchase. Nanos plug directly into a breadboard and great for lab work when you do not need to use a shield. Aside from form factor, they are Uno compatible. Arduino, the company, designed these and other products using an FTDI USB to serial chip which is very pricey compared to similar chips. Clones generally use a CH240 family chip. In most cases, an additional driver can be loaded and all is well. The exceptions are the nemesis that haunts my classes. At the beginning of lab, we need to get everyone running quickly or we end up with someone waiting for help while I am helping others.

I furnish all the parts for my classes and am well stocked with $5.00 Nano clones. But the problem has been such a pain that I have purchased eight $22.00 Official Nanos for my classes. As more people have expressed interest in teaching, I have pushed @artg_dms to purchase Officail Nanos for others to use.

Thanks again to Art for your action to assist DMS teachers!

2 Likes

I have used the Inland Pro Mini from Micro Center without problems.

1 Like

I have heard from multiple sources that Inland is the most compatible clone. I tried to find Inland Nanos and did not find any. The first ten minutes or so of lab time is often confusion as multiple students are waiting for @NickWebb or me to help them. My classes invite total beginners in electronics and programming and often half the class does not know how to use a breadboard. Not complaining - I want to bring them in. But I need simplicity and the Pro Mini requires an external USB to Serial converter which would add more complexity. Otherwise I like the neat little Pro Mini and have some very early boards which are similar.

2 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed your arduino classes and they started my craving for something a little more advanced.

so I’ve been working on this project lately

Though I don’t know how or even if this kind of project could be adapted to a class.
Anyhow, just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the time you put in! I find your classes very approachable and informative.

3 Likes

When considering Arduino related classes please ask yourself, “Can I make a small change to this class which moves us towards becoming a member in the Arduino User Group?”

1 Like

This is interesting but please give a couple of examples how this would apply. All my classes use exercises where students build up several circuits within a few minutes each. Seems like this could not apply. The above synthesizer project would be interesting if some shop people fabricated the case, electronics guys built the circuit, artists improve the case and software people developed programs with additional capabilities. Would that qualify?

1 Like

Amen. Early in my classes, I have to explain which holes are connected. And that the power busses on the Radio Shack units do not run the full length but have a gap at the half.

This is a fascinating project that I could not justify doing myself until I considered working it as a Christmas gift project to work with my 11 year old grandson. But how could it work as a class? The physical construction is not complex and well documented in videos. You could start with describing sound synthesis, what it can do, why its interesting, specs of this project and how it compares to the high dollar equipment used by entertainers. Show a few slides of your construction. I would spend a some time showing the Arduino code required to develop a very simple program then show excerpts of a complex program. Demo the sound as you do these. As the lecture winds down turn the project over to students to take turns having fun twisting knobs and making weird sounds. If I build one before your class, you could use it as well. Think of it - a room full of Makers running two synthesizers in the same room - I would probably find a reason to retire to the ELab or somewhere quiet!

I currently cannot. I don’t have any experience with “Project Hub”.

1 Like

I second the kudos for the Arduino classes delivered by @bpamplin and @NickWebb that I have attended. I only began my Arduino/DMS journey in August, and I have also been inspired to work on a more complex project at home. In the meantime, I have been kicking around the idea of an introduction to using different types of motors with Arduino — why you would choose a servo vs a stepper vs a DC brushed motor, how to get it to run, that kinda stuff. I am currently developing this class, likely to begin delivery after the first of the year.

1 Like

@NickWebb and I are currently working on an Arduino: Programming 101/102/103 series. Seats are available to the first class on November 27. A second class on December 1 will hit the event calendar tomorrow.

Also, Arduino: Controlling the Wild RGB LED Strips! will repeat on November 29 and will hit the calendar tomorrow.

3 Likes

Just ordered 20.
Got tax exempt / education status on order.
Current plan is they go into teacher supplies and are not available for resale.
Part of that tax exempt thing.
eta is Nov 19 - 23.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, any chance you could bring in those arduino for ham radio books from Walter’s library you’ve mentioned a couple of times? I’d like a chance to take a peak before the meeting on Sunday.

1 Like

Have one of the books at house.
“Arduino Projects for Amateur Radio” Jack Purdem (W8TEE) & Dennis Kidder (W6DQ)
Can bring in this evening.
Other bks are in storage.

3 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks very much for the Nanos!

2 Likes

I might be able to come by tonight, but I’ll be in early on Sunday.

Sending PM