Idea for the art opening - Pinewood Derby (3 styles normal, makerish and hellfire)

I’m game for it. I’ve always wanted to see a dad’s pinewood derby mainly because it is the dad who really builds the car for their scouts derby!!

1 Like

DMS has way too many rules now!

Lets not ruin the “balls to the wall” derby race with rules other than “play nice”

I’m not sure the balls to the wall should even say play nice. Not sure exactly how mischevious people are but I like the idea of a mad max world.

2 Likes

You have my fervent wish you never experience one! Since you can’t count on any common sense, I suggest a few basic rules. Maybe no high explosives? (at least if it is at the open house)

Good point…no explosives…

Oh makerspace I love you so damn much.

2 Likes

Explosives are my jam but even I would not make a pinewood derby car a splinter risk. I would even suggest no fire or explosives of any kind.

Now a Liquid Nitrogen Rocket Car, but I’ve said too much.

2 Likes

We already got a burning dumpster, it would set the mood.

Yes you did. :smiley:
If I can get help to run the track, I’ve decided I wont charge anything. I’ve wanted to do a derby at DMS since we moved into the new space. We just need to have the right place to setup the track and this will be a LOT of fun.

The Pinewood Nuts track/timer is at your disposal for the inside races pending having a specific date.

3 Likes

Suggestions for simple rules for the unlimited class inside race…

DON’T HURT THE TRACK OR TIMER.
Don’t exceed maximum dimensions, mainly for length (to fit behind starting gate) and height (to fit under the timer)

For those that don’t remember, can you post a link or the specs to meet the above dimensions?

You are so cool!

You know the ins and outs would you be willing to hang and come up with some rules to this? Or we could just start an email chain. [email protected]

Can we have a lights out race?

3 Likes

Does the derby cars have to touch the track at all?

As long as it doesn’t move until the start pin drops, doesn’t hit any other “cars”, and crosses the finish line so it can trip the IR sensor in it’s lane on the timer…i guess it doesn’t have to touch the track.

I’ll be doing a derby this Sunday, so I’ll take fresh measurements then. We can put together some basic guidelines that make sense for the races and post them wherever you want.

1 Like

Pinewood Derby Kits

Do we want to supply them?

• If we supply the kits, do we want to build them or purchase them?

Personally, I’m PRO supplying the kits and charging some where is the $5 to $8 dollar range. I think this is the easiest way to allow for an even field for the competitive members among us. Now for the flashier contest with less rules I say do whatever. Also, having kits available will help involvement as we are taking away confusion as to what is acceptable and the options of vendors.

Now making kits or buying them is more of a question of cost savings,

The Official Boy Scout Kit is $3.99 before shipping.

Bulk wheels and axles run $1.95 each set before shipping

So not much of a savings, but looking on forums the bulk wheels are supposedly nicer than the ones that come with the kit. Holy crap, some people take this way to seriously. :smile:

Will be trying to design are car that exploits every loophole and interpretation of the rules. Car’s name will be “The Shyster”

4 Likes

Mine will be called The Panama Pinewoods

For races like this, I normally recommend going with the maximum-velocity kits, block or wedge. We can buy them in bulk and put together the kits ourselves. They just send a box filled with all the pieces to make the kits.

Bulk Block kits 12 cars - $37.44 ($3.12 ea) before shipping

Bulk Wedge kits 12 cars - $37.44 ($3.12 ea) before shipping

Either way, their axles/wheels are way better than the Boy Scout kits.

As for taking this too seriously, check these out: :scream:
Pinewood Derby Drag Racing
National Pinewood Derby Racing League
Performance Wheels
Mark Rober - Use Science to win Pinewood Derby
Pinewood Derby Physics Videos

1 Like

All of those seem to be using gravity as the only source of energy, am I right in assuming we want to have a class with no limit on energy source other than no intentional explosives / fire?