Idea for taking attendance

I think the whole idea of dealing with non-members becomes too complex to administer. Members can badge in easily enough. The rest becomes too complicated: waivers and pre-signups.

I think the big issue to resolve is policy on student and teacher no-shows, stand-bys, etc.

Regarding the last item, as an instructor I may put a statement in:

This is a limited size class. If at 7:05 all registered attendees are not present, that seat will be given to someone that is available and present. There is no guarantee you will be able to get into a class.

Are sure some will howl ā€œThatā€™s not fair - if Iā€™m six minutes late I canā€™t attend!ā€ This is true, but I want to start the class promptly, itā€™s during that first 5 minutes I take attendance and have introductions, so not anything critical as far as material.

But in my classes the first area covered is safety. You show up late youā€™ll have missed that - plus I donā€™t know if youā€™re just 6 minutes late or a no-show. If someone is there waiting - Iā€™d rather give to them. Some people are habitually late.

As an instructor, I was late to one class, but here at the Space. It was the night 75 people signed up for a Co-play class and I was ensuring waivers were signed and directing people to the class.

Another option is ā€œInstructor Approval Requiredā€ if youā€™re a no-show, then Iā€™ll let you enroll in next class if there is an opening at say noon the day of class. So far Iā€™ve had about 90%+ show up for my classes Iā€™ve taught and about 1/3rd of time Iā€™ve let in one extra person.

However, my evening class last Friday was the first one where only 3 of 6 showed up. One person that didnā€™t show up decided they would take the laser class because they had an opening. Both started at 7PM. How would you deal with situation?

1 Like

I flubbed some attendance on some classes recently. I did not see the ā€œSAVEā€ button which was below my screen. However, I also filled out AD tab (these were training required classes), I did see the SAVE button. So it ended up recording all absent but everyone passing! At least I had proof Iā€™d taken roll - the not all of the ADā€™s were marked in every class.

What really bothered me, was I normally exit the page and come back to see it stuck. I saw that it had, Bill Gee said it may have just cached the page and showed me that.

Would like to see save button also at top so itā€™s not missed. Iā€™m not the only one that apparently did not see the save button. So now Iā€™ll reboot computer to make sure it has registered.

1 Like

That button is not in a good location

I fubbed marking attendance because I had my screem
magnified and the button was off screen

Having it above would help

Re taking attendance screen

My big wish is that once you hit the save button that it actually DOES something, like simply flashes a confirmation message that the action took, changes color, anything. Right now, hit the button, nothing else happens and you just HOPE the system accepted it. :-/

5 Likes