I'd like to deburr some of our tools

I have acquired some precision ground flatstones, and I would like to use them to deburr the parellels in the Bridgeport cabinet as well as the Kurt vise as they are badly in need of a stoning.

I have a plan to hold the parallels to keep the sharp corner, and for the vise could just stone the ways and the jaws for now.

Any objections? I would do this on Friday if that’s alright. If anyone else can think of something that would need to be stoned, let me know and I’ll be happy to do it.

Really cool video on these stones for those that aren’t familiar:

1 Like

Go for it Calvin. When do you intend on doing it Friday?

Great! Not exactly sure of my arrival time but I suspect I’ll show up around 9-10AM. Should be at the space until 3 or so.

My schedule has shifted to the evening, I’ll probably be at the space around 3:30-4 and be there for several hours, so it’ll happen then instead.

I am going to try my best to be there. I’ve been looking around for the most economical set of stones as I absolutely love that video and would love to have a set for my shop. Can you share where you got yours? Brand/link?

Hope to see you Fri.

Hi Calvin, are you still planning on going to the space today?

FYI, the post by Calvin was from 4 weeks ago.

Dohhh. Thank you. I was actually really looking forward to seeing those stones in action. Maybe he’ll consider coming back up. ha ha.

Paul, I bought the stones on Ebay from seller jlrkmr2006. They are smaller than the ones in Renzetti’s videos but seem to work just as well, they sound exactly the same and they feel as if all that is between them is air when rubbed together. When I bought them, they were $130 a pair, which is an excellent price for what they can do.

The day at the space I mentioned in this post went well. Stoning the gib on the Bridgeport’s Y axis made it much smoother and seemed to eliminate the stick-slip issue it was having. It also significantly improved the Kurt vise and our parallels. So, I can attest that the seller’s stones work well.

I’m very busy at the moment so I won’t be around for a hot minute, but if you ever see a guy in the machine shop with a red Craftsman toolbox, say hi and I’ll show you the stones.

Great. Thanks so much for sharing the info. I’ll be sure to say hi if I see you around. Now, i’m off to look up those stones on ebay. :slight_smile: