ID Card Printer

Hi,
Does anyone know if we have an ID Card Printer? I’m actually wanting to use it for business card making, but I have some NFC tag PVC card blanks, not sure if they have the right coating for Dye Sublimation, but they say they can be used on an ID printer. Thanks

Colby Sherman

99% sure that we don’t have an ID card printer. That sounds way too specialized (in a non-craft direction) for us.

Double check tools on the wiki, though.

They are fairly expensive for small batch.

You could likely get new cards printed for cheaper.

We don’t have one but a few members have been known to have their own; I used to have a cheap one but it failed a while back and wasn’t worth repairing.

Honestly I’d like to see us get a basic unit that can be used by members bringing their own cards, and also for things like being able to make volunteer badges for events and tours

Would also be cool if members that opt for the card instead of the fob to be able to print a design on it

2 Likes

Thanks all. I would agree with @hon1nbo here as to its utility. It would be a great tool for the space, and a fairly cheap purchase relative to most other equipment. Would allow custom ID/wallet card sized NFC tags to be printed on, company logos/business cards, all sorts of stuff.

I just priced one out and am gonna do it through my previous supplier

Will reply back when it’s available for use though expect it to be a bit as it goes through their full process and shipping on top of setup

4 Likes

The Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas has two of them. We use them for onsite badge production. Might want to check with @Nick as he found an amazing deal on our new dual sided one.

2 Likes

Yeah, gave James my two cents on it. At the price point he is looking, the Fargo we use does fit his bill.

Warnings from things I’ve learned.

Ink refills are a bit of a scam as the bulk pricing tends to be higher than buying single cartridges.

The cartridge tape can break while printing, this is an easy fix. Cut the tape square and tape it back together. Totally works again.

Buy cards in bulk qty of 1000+ savings can be immense this way.

You don’t need to scrimp on color use. You use the same amount of the cartridge if you print the color or not.

Get to understand the advanced/print properties menu while printing. The black ink and contrast settings have a large effect on quality. You can dial in a bad print to a good one this way.

Other than that, these printers are pretty bomb proof.

3 Likes

Any update on availability or a timeline? Looking forward to using this!

Ended up with a fancier, but still robust, unit based on some talking with @Nick

It’s going to be on loan once all the supplies have arrived and its gone through some testing. I need to get with @Jcgalik to confirm how we can set it up most efficiently for use.

5 Likes

Solved the issue with the flipper tray I was having. I should be dropping it off sometime this week.

@Jcgalik let’s get together and figure out specifics.

3 Likes

Is this ready? Looking forward to using!

Due to certain events, I am not currently putting any more equipment on loan and may be retrieving my currently loaned items in the near future.

Ohhhh, was this a personal purchase then? Does DMS have any plans to make a community purchase?

I was purchasing a fancier one anyway for my work, and since that work is very sporadic I was going to put my unit on long term loan.

1 Like

Honestly it’s a shame that I have to back out of this.

We had come up with some cool templates for access cards

Yea, it seems like it works pretty well! I wonder what time frame wear will start to be noticable. Never used this type of printer before.

I understand hesitancy for loaning personal equipment out given some of the usage habits. Who is chair of the Create Arts section? Can we discuss getting one through DMS for users to access?

It’s a professional badge printer, same as what you see for making corporate badges. They should last years of regular use before it’s completely messed up.

It was going to be on loan to DM originally, but CA might be up for one. @Nick had great advice to splurge for a Fargo, and even though it’s a fancy one it’s worth the extra. Got mine on ebay double sided printing with extra encoders for my work.

It’s actually insured against accidental damage anyway and I could afford it if it were not covered, but that’s not the reason I’m retracting the loan

1 Like

Oh no! I hope someone didn’t abuse one of the many pieces of equipment you’ve loaned DMS. What you’ve helped us have at the space has been invaluable. :worried:

It’s not related to equipment. There are other matters at play.

Though I do appreciate your concern.