I think I lost a crankshaft bearing

The GM 350 5.7L marine engine was running great until about 3 minutes before this noise started. It is loud and persistent. I had no choice but to limp back to the trailer at idle (~45 min).

Sounds familiar. My condolences.

The trailer / boat is 22ft long x 8ft wide x 11ft tall (sport tower). Do you think I could back the trailer into the auto area and pull the motor? Or maybe I could roll the hoist into the parking lot?

I don’t see any problem with you pulling the motor. then putting in pallet storage if available then on engine stand if available. Just tow boat home until ready to reinstall.

@TLAR Does that make sense and doable?

1 Like

Sounds reasonable to me except that the garage door is only 10 Ft tall

1 Like

I can fold the sport tower down about 3ft. Or at least I could before I installed speakers on it. Absolutely plan to return the boat to storage after pulling the motor. I am going to disassemble the engine compartment and pull the electrical / controls here at my house. That should reduce the time required to pull the engine a bit.

I’ve done quite a bit of on car work but never pulled / hoisted an engine. Is anyone willing to give me a view pointers on using the hoist safely (for me and the engine)?

Several fold in automotive are helpful,
When are you planning to do this?

I might try tonight I have most of the rear compartment apart and components disconnected. I just need to mow my yard and finish unhooking the battery cables. I probably will be at the space by 6pm or so and can stay until midnight. After that my next opportunity will be Friday (traveling all week).

Edit: “might try it tonight” means I will pull it tonight unless the bays are busy or a different night would be better for someone to guide me with the hoist.