I need to be introduced to the large lathe

I have some machine knowledge - I own a CNC mill, but have no experience with lathes. Interested in turning aluminum. Can someone show me around, any evening?

To be able to use it yourself you’d need to take the class.

Also interested 20 characters

anyone planning on actually offering a class on the Colchester anytime soon?

-Jim

Which mill do you have and what software do you use?

Okay. So, do you know when the next class is?

I don’t teach in the machine shop yet, you can check the calendar or ask around in the shop.

Bill,

I had hosted some classes in mid June. While I would not normally teach again for 6 weeks, there is also another fellow that needs introduction to the metal lathe, so I could have a special class just for two. The other fellow can do Tuesday or Wednesday. Which days and times can you do?

I would like to save the time of the in class room session (normally, about an hour) by having you and Jim do the slide show and select MIT Machine Shop videos 8 ,9 & 10 as self study. Since the machine shop committee is in the mode of beta testing a self study and quiz pass model for part I of training required machine classes, I would like to give it a first test drive on you and Jim. The slide show and quiz are at:

Committes Drive N:/machine shop/training/ClausingColchester/ CluasingColchester101 2018 with quiz.

The idea is that we would meet at machine side at the agreed time and you will tell me the password. You will be certain of the pass word being right because it is an actual word that relates to the lathe. In the future the class registrant will use the password to register for part II of the required training -machine side instruction, by entering the word into a dialog box that enters his/her name in the AD for having passed the quiz, that is completed part I, a prerequisite for part II. But we are not ready with all this just yet.

2 Likes

Thanks! Wednesday would be fine for me. Anytime after 5:30. My text is 818
645 5409

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I won’t have time to come in to take this tutorial, by the way. If it was
online I could do it now… however, I do know my way around a cnc mill and
mastercam 5, if that helps.

I usually try to make it in on Saturdays, as I am usually working on my projects. I do not have a definite time I come in. I am an experienced Machinist and can provide instruction, so long as I have our Committee approval.

It is just on a “shared drive” that we call the Jump server. Many of us access it remotely (i.e., from home) using the Microsoft Remote Desktop (free) application.

Here is a link to how you can do that:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/JumpServerLogin

Bob listed the file path in his message above.

I am new to the group but I would like to do a few classes on lathe work ( turning facing threading tool grinding ) I do have many years experance with all faces of machine shop

2 Likes

we need more classes on machine shop tools and how to use them

2 Likes

I am willing to help out any way I can and any

2 Likes

Would love to have you teach. Get with @BobKarnaugh for lathe and myself for the Bridgeport. We’ll have you go over some items and if we comfortable we’ll grant authorization to use. However, Bob and I do ask that you commit to teaching at least one class within 60 days. And you’ll get $50 for each class as a thank you.

Are you new DMS or just Machine Shop. Either way Welcome, we’d love to have more instructors.

@billyepps is the gentleman I spoke to you about at the metal shop meeting. New to DMS. Already has one class on the schedule

2 Likes

He has already been given the blessing. Bob showed him last week, I think it was last week anyway.

Billy, if you need help getting items on the calendar to teach, let us know and we will help you.

2 Likes