I need CNC training

I would like to take whatever course necessary for CNC machine.

When can I take this class and how much?

The wood CNC (aka Multicam)? The Metal plasma cutter?

3 Likes

The HAAS?
The Sherline Mill?
Sherline Lathe?
PolyPrinter?
Shapeoko?
Thunder?
Epilog?

4 Likes

The embroidery machine?
The vinyl cutter(s)?

1 Like

As one can see, the Dallas Makerspace has many high tech computer operated machines that are available for use and to be properly trained on. The term CNC applies to a lot of tools. May we suggest that you add a little more description to your request. All equipment training is done by volunteers, just need to find the correct match for your interests. Then I truely believe you will get the response you want.

3 Likes

Actually, both.

To be precise, I would like to be trained on CNC wood Router AND PLASMA CUTTER.

Thank you.

Tagging @Team_Woodshop to chime in on Multicam training and verify cost.

@Team_Metal_Shop for plasma cam.

Your first step for the Plasma Cutter is to take the Hot Process Safety Class. Are you okay with an in-person class? There’s one on the calendar for next Saturday.

Unfortunately, after that, I’m not sure where we go. @coffeebean was talking about teaching, but I don’t know where she is in that process. Or, that’s one of the things we can teach if you come to the Metal Shop meeting Saturday 9/5, noon in the Metal Shop. After the meeting we clean up, and then folks who’ve helped clean up can get trained.

Totally irrelevant to your question, I’ve now got gloves and safety glasses, so there’ll be MIG training that Jim doesn’t have to do.

1 Like

Ok then . Ill plan to be there 9 am.

Thank you.

Tagging @cghaly for the Multicam

Thanks you!

What’s the official policy on in-person classroom classes these days?

I’m not sure that there’s an official policy, per se. I’m doing smaller classes, to help keep some sort of social distancing going. This weekend I’m doing a class of 8 in interactive for a lecture thing, and 2 classes of 3 for a bit more up-close-and-personal training.

For me personally, I’m trusting my usually-very-effective immune system. Mask wearing will be properly enforced (you better be covering that nose!), and hand washing heavily encouraged.

We never gave an official word on classrooms from the closure aside from “don’t” but have been allowing the use of the larger rooms for committee meetings and such. 8 is on the large size, but with everyone socially distant it should fit in Interactive. I wouldn’t suggest filling the lecture hall @cghaly, but the interactive room should fit a small class.

Yeah – I took a good look at Interactive before I picked the class size.

1 Like

Since the rules posted on the wiki prohibit using the classrooms at all, will there be a rule change forthcoming?

EDIT: Wasn’t part of the issue that classrooms are a community area that no one is going to sanitize?

We could put that on teachers, who could put it on the students. The rule is “clean before you start, and after you’re done”. I can see that applying to classrooms as well as tools.

“Hi, folks. Here’s some sanitizer and some paper towels. Wipe down your area.”

1 Like