I Need A 3D Model: Looking For An Artist

Hello,

My name is Ray Carter and I would like to have a 3D replica mold of my MPC 2000XL. My goal with this project is to have a mold that looks the same and is actual size (full scale), except modified to seem as if it were damaged by the passage of time, resembling a fossilized item found in a futuristic archeological dig.

I was wondering if Dallas Makersspace can provide a artists to help?

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you.

Is this just going to be a (none functional) prop? Or are you wanting something more like a case mod? Also, how many are you trying to make?

I’m not much of a 3D artist, but based on what you need I might be able to point you in the right direction on the project.

Hi, Nick

I would have uploaded some pictures but can’t since Im a new member on the forum.

Yes, this is going to be a non functional prop, like a model, and my focus as of now is to produce one.

Does it look like the one on the wikipedia page? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Production_Center#mediaviewer/File:Akai_MPC2000XL_front.jpg

Yes, except mine is blue, but it is the exact same model.

I was inspired by Daniel Arsham work seen here on this designboom page.

@SRichardson3D, perhaps?

1 Like

So more like this one?: http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/akai/MPC2000/mpc2000xl_zip_massive.jpg

I’m not much of an artist (I could probably CAD up a model though for someone else to use), just trying to figure out what your options might be. It looks like it’s about 16" wide (just based upon zip disk size in photo). Based upon that size, it would probably be difficult to 3D print a positive for a mold at our facility.

How accurate does it need to be? Is it just for a photo or does it need all the jacks etc. on the back?

1 Like

Well that is good news. If the goal is to just make one, I would consider looking for a broken or beat up one on Ebay and doing a weathered / stone paint job on it. Because making a mold of a part that size might cost you more than $100 in platinum silicone alone. Also, casting resin can be pricey as well. If you grab one on Ebay for $40-$60 and spend another $20-$40 on paint then you have your product for the cost of the mold making material by itself.

That is my real world dollars suggestion. If it is more about learning, John K could help you scan your MPC2000xl and you could cut the model into pieces small enough to fit in the print area of the polyprinter. I think it would probably take 12 to 28 hours of printing based on how your model was set up. Then you could weather / fossilize that model. This method would still be cheaper than molding and casting even if you had to pay a member to break up your model.

2 Likes

Hi Kentamanos,

Thanks for looking into this with such detail. Yes, the post is exactly like mine. It doesn’t have to be accurate and its just for a photo. My plans are to use this as original artwork for an mixtape (album) Im currently working on.

Nick you’re right. I recently went to the Texas Sculpture Association membership meet to network with other sculptors and they suggested the same approach. However trying to find the device for a good price is hard to come by considering this machine is now vintage.

I would like to work with a artist because I want to build a personal relationship and promote the arts in DFW.
If the project becomes a success (and I know it will), due to how iconic the MPC is and going out of the box (no pun intended) haha, has been a challenge.

If John K is interested I would like to present it to him and see what he thinks.

1 Like

That would definitely make a cool “album cover” (old man term), and I thought that might be the purpose.

If you end up going in a direction where you want a CAD’d up model (for 3D printing (end result/positive for molding) or possibly milling/routing a mold), I wouldn’t mind looking at it. I can’t promise any quick turn around or anything, but I currently enjoy CAD’ing stuff up. If I get some free time (and free computer time) tonight for instance I might start giving it a shot.

3 Likes

Kent,
as a former architect major I am familiar with CAD and would greatly appreciate your efforts. Give it a shot.

1 Like

Hi fellas, just falling up with you

After reviewing both @Nick and @Kentamanos advice, would it be easier to scale the size of the 3D model MPC2000XL, down to a size that could use less material and be printed at Dallas Makers facility.

Since this is for a music project, Perhaps the size of a CD jewel case would be reasonable?

Yeah, if it’s primarily for a photograph, you should probably print it smaller than 1:1.

I got tied up with work recently and didn’t get to mess with it yet the past week. Last night I had some free time, but was unable to login to the machine to work on it (someone else was RDP’d in). I might get to spend some time on it tonight.

2 Likes

Kent,
No pressure. I greatly appreciate your response and interest.

I trust your judgement and would like to work with you at your convience on this project. Please email me at [email protected]

Hi @Kentamanos Just following up with you since the last time we spoke. Hows everything been?
Were you able to come up with a design in CAD?

I started on it but have been crazy busy. I will try to get back on it this weekend.

Thats understandable. Let me know if theres anything I can send you to help with creating the .STL file

Hey Kent, great news. I’ve found someone that could handle both the draft and print. I know you’ve been busy and with much respect I appreciate all your help. Im going to keep you in mind for the future.

Regards,
Ray