I hope this drives the idea home

This picture was posted on Facebook on the Machinist World section with the caption -
“Was wearing a shitty pair of raw hide gloves. Don’t yank on stringers”. this is why I always emphasize that a pair of pliers is your best friend while turning and to turn the machine OFF when clearing them. He’s lucky it didn’t take his finger off.

6 Likes

Given the basic safety violation of wearing gloves, much less pulling swarf, he is lucky he still has his hand.

4 Likes

True. Knew a machinist that had his hand torn up and required surgery. He was wearing gloves and touched a still rotating piece.

Why would gloves make the injury worse?

The glove could have gotten caught and pulled his hand into the grinder.

But this guy’s rather dangerous seeming test seems challeng that idea:

Weird, I’ve never thought about not using gloves while angle grinding.

BTW was that blood at the end? On his fingers lol

1 Like

And this is why you wear safety gear:

1 Like

He seems to be from Australia, doesn’t everything go backwards there?

1 Like

A single example (or hundreds) don’t prove something is safe; however, a single example does prove it isn’t…

1 Like

I have been kissed by the grinder on many occasions over the years. It doesn’t seem to make much difference if you wear gloves or not, at least in my case. However an angle grinder is much different than a lathe.

Probably all of the ones I have had seemed to cauterized by the grinder wheel, cutting wheel & wire wheel. I can’t remember ever them bleeding.

2 Likes