I have some questions before becoming a member

I’m interested in becoming a member, but I have some questions about how everything works. So I have some backstory I’d like to get out, I hope nobody minds too much. I’ve struggled with alcohol since I was 12. I moved to Texas to get away from unhealthy environments, in hope of finding more opportunities here. I have been sober as long as I have been in Dallas, which is one and a half years. Since then I have really dived in deep to a lot of hobbies. I love woodworking, solder art, drawing, CAD, electronics, etc. I just really love tinkering and making things. I joke often and say that my hobby is finding new hobbies. I pick one up for a month or so, then move on to the next. This has made me a bit of a jack of all trades, but master of none. I am always excited to learn but, I struggle to stick to one thing. Mostly because I burn myself out very quickly. I often will go back to old hobbies but it takes some time. This raises my first question, do I have to stick to one thing if I’m a member, could I just explore and learn freely?

I’m very much a recluse, mostly because of sobriety. I would say I am introverted but I really don"t believe that to be true. I’m excited to talk to people and love listening to other people. But due to my appearance not many people are open to talking to me. I have a lot of tattoos and some on my face as well (which I’m working on getting removed). I’m trying to find myself, better myself, and get out a bit more. In my search for a healthy alternative to a bar, to be able to socialize, I found Dallas Makerspace. So my second question, is this a good place for a person like me to make friends?

I appreciate any responses, thank you!

8 Likes

Hi Bones. I like to say I’m about a seven, but working on becoming a jack of all. Congratulations on your sobriety. I’ve been reading lately about habits, and stacking them. I would suggest giving yourself grace and pick one area, and give yourself several months to explore that committee and it’s resources.

The members who have arguably found their success have done so with focus.

I don’t have an opinion on which area (not true) but I would encourage you to join as we reopen and get into the new normal. Hope to meet you in person at some point this summer.

8 Likes

Thank you so much! I will definitely be joining as a member. May I ask what you mean by stacking habits?

1 Like

I’d love to if you can give me a day to provide a more thorough response.

3 Likes

Of course! take as much time as you need, I appreciate thorough responses!

1 Like

Welcome to Makerspace (because now you’ve proven you’re born of the same cloth). It sounds like you’re going to be an awesome member!

We (seem to be) all wanderers here at the space. Free-ish to explore and learn and dabble and do and pickup a hobby and turn quickly around and pick up another. Don’t get me started on the separate hobby of purchasing the items that go with the hobbies and or projects.

Makerspace is a community unlike any I’ve ever been apart of. It’s given me so much over the years…family, a place to go to, a place to fuss about, a place that will make you roll your eyes a million times, a place And community that needs your energy and efforts to make it better, a place to devote unchecked energy into, it can be like a child or a job if you allow it or need it to be, it’s been an unexpectedly phenomenal dating pool (of which I found a soon to be life partner-hell ya people) and I hope it serves as a place of equal excitement and comfort for you as well. It’s an awesome place just jump in and start swimming with the rest of us. You’ll find the best characters, the strangest things, great stories, and lots and lots of trash to take out.

13 Likes

Welcome @Bones! I would have to say that a lot DMS members fit into the mold of jack of all trades. Our interest/hobby seems to always be learning new things. DMS has a wide swath of interests and skills to learn.

Congrats on your sobriety! And don’t worry too much about being accepted or considered “acceptable.” I think you will find a very diverse group of folks at DMS.

6 Likes

Welcome @Bones! I am, like you, a jack of all trades, and a maybe a master of only a few. I’ve been a member of DMS for a number of years now and here is my appreciation of what DMS offers:

1. The best group of makers you will find anywhere. Everyone has something to teach, something to offer and something that they are making. We are a sometimes eclectic, diverse and wildly talented bunch of people. We argue, fuss and discuss regularly but in the end the best part of DMS is the making. You will see some absolutely amazing things being made. Check out: Show and Tell June 2020 for just a few.
  2. Hobbies, vocations, professions, interests, opinions, advice; we offer all of these and more. There is a saying around here, “start now, finish whenever”. You’ll fit right in with people here that have a very diverse number of hobbies and move from one to the other frequently. My son calls me, “whole hog dad” because when I take on a new hobby I usually go crazy buying tools and materials. You’ll also find some who are veritable experts in their hobbies, too. The best part is that almost everyone is willing to help you learn if you ask them. You’ll make new friends along the way, too learning from others.
  3. Coursework - people at DMS give generously of their time to teach others. It is remarkable the amount of education that occurs at DMS virtually for free. You simply cannot get the kind of hands on learning anywhere else! Again you’ll make friends in the classes, people with similar interests to yours.
  4. Community- some of the best friends I have now are makers from DMS. We endeavor to make DMS a place for everyone as long as you abide by the few rules we have and show a willingness to be a productive participant in the community you will make many friends. When you tour look around you’ll find people of all persuasions and interests. You’ll find many who like you have tattoos and you’ll find many who don’t, but we all have a lot in common, especially when it comes to making things.
  5. Finally, don’t be put off by the sometimes heated banter that occurs at DMS. It is a vital part of our culture and makes us all better makers and better people because we learn to appreciate the values, opinions and viewpoints of others. Just be respectful and supportive and you’ll have a great time.

I encourage you to join, pick an area of interest and immerse yourself in the DMS experience. You’ll be amazed how quickly you tell others about the amazing place we all love and need known as DMS.

8 Likes

thank you for the kind words:) I’m really happy to hear I’m not going to be the only one who moves around hobbies so much. I honestly can’t afford half the stuff I get into but, I’mm going to dive deep into DMS. I can barely get the 60 together to become a member, but I’m going it make it happen. Finding like-minded people has been tremendously difficult for me. I’m hoping to find a job through DMS at one point so I can support my hobbies properly lol. I’ve been so excited to get started and meet people, I only found out about makers spaces in general a month or so ago. Again thanks so much for the kind words!

4 Likes

What kind of work do you do? What is your perfect job? Finding a great job is all about networking these days. You have to network with other people to find that job.

3 Likes

I wish I had a clear cut answer for you but I really don’t know what my dream job would be. At least currently I don’t have a network, I don’t have friends I run ideas off of. I have my fiancée, but she really doesn’t know much about the stuff I’m into so running ideas about where I should go next seems futile. I could see myself making small things like knives, jewelry, pens, etc. Depending on what it is, I’m good with minuscule details. I think once I join the DMS network, I’ll be able to get a better idea of what I’d like to do with my future. A good portion of my life, I really didn’t even think I’d live as long as I have, so looking at my future never really went too far. That has since changed but I’m a bit behind. I’m equally as passionate with everything I get into, so nothing really sticks out, but I could also see myself making a career out of everything I’ve done. I don’t know how to explain it well so I hope it comes across well enough.

1 Like

Welcome! Don’t worry about not fitting in, as mentioned its about your brain more than the rest. willingness to learn is appreciated by all here. As someone who has Crafting ADD I can sympathize with how your brain works. DMS should satisfy all those itches, but please remember to pace yourself as all the toys look very appealing up front. As Dan mentioned focus on one thing at a time for a month or so then move along to the next shiny thing. Not sure if its been mentioned but do plan your first few weeks (or maybe longer because of the pandemic) for just getting signed off on equipment. Much of the equipment requires a 101 operations and safety class. Good luck, and I hope you have a good time getting immersed!

7 Likes

The DMS is one of the most welcoming places to alternative and varied lifestyles and world views I have ever been a part of. We have members from all walks of life from millionaires to people just trying to get by. LGBTQ people, the highly religious, ardent atheists and people on both the far left and far right of the political spectrum.

Making unifies us, the DMS is not perfect (far from it) but the level of respect and willingness to treat You for who You are, most members have for one another is truly second to none.

7 Likes

Congratulations! I hope there are many more years ahead for you.

Yes.

Yes.

5 Likes

Welcome Bones. Congratulations on your sobriety and thank you for sharing your story. I believe you’ll find DMS a welcoming environment.

6 Likes

We used to have a lady who guided a lot of the tours. She would tell people to take All The Classes (the calendar was fuller back then as we weren’t figuring out social distancing). Personally, even as a retired person with potentially a lot of spare time, I thought that was a bad plan. Nobody will stop you from taking All The Classes, but you’ll forget what you learned by the time it comes to do more with it. Think of what project you want to make, take the class for that area, play with it until you’re finished with the idea, and move on.

For instance, I teach pottery, sewing, microwave glass fusing, and welding. I need to pick up some skills on our industrial leather sewing machine as we need a teacher for that. And, I may finally be forced to learn one of the CNC programs so that I can teach the Dynatorch, although the teacher shortage on that one may be solved…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Good to know there will be safety classes for a lot of the equipment. safety is very important!

1 Like

‘Dating pool’? Everyone I’ve met (all very nice people) are married or very coupled up, and usually come to DMS with their partner or spouse. You must have been hanging at very different committee areas than me lol :))

** Or they are like nephew young :))
And I wasn’t good at being a cougar when I was a kitten lol

1 Like

I just want to say welcome!

1 Like

Lol, it could happen, your soul mate might be in a different department.