I got wood... What can I do with it?

Hi. Found this section of a stump on the side of the road. Any idea what to type it is, think it could be used to create some slabs for spinning trays or anything else cool? Or is it just trash?

Be gentle with my wood, I’m a newbie and still learning

2 Likes

I just measured it’s about 20 diameter maybe 10 inches high

1 Like

Do you know what kind of wood that is?

One fun option would be cut that sucker in half (by the width) and make 2 matching end tables. You’d need to cut it, then joint each piece flat on one side, then plane them on the other side. Next would be resin filling the cracks which would really make it pop (glow in the dark powders or metallic powders in the resin for a wow factor). Finally, turn some legs for each one and finish it up (alternatively you could weld some pipe into legs, or buy premade table legs).

That should only take you a couple of weeks in your spare time.

1 Like

With a split that nasty I’m inclined to say it’s better off as firewood than any effort to turn it into a usable surface. You could always fill it with resin, but I generally don’t like stump cookies for table surfaces precisely because they are so prone to splitting as they season unless you do a lot of work to prevent it.

Thanks guys! I don’t know what kind of wood it is. I like both ideas LOL. But might be a good resin test as I’ve been wanting to try that…

I will be covering resin casting in the sphere creation session 2 class (8-18 1pm) if you want to get some basics on resin casting with wood. For that stump you’d need a different kind, but a lot of the basics cross over.

2 Likes

Thanks Steve, I just signed up for it Sphere #2!

1 Like