I got my cap! Where's the AR SIG?

I saw the random wire when I was there today. I have some spare Rg8x that we can feed through that hole for the time being and string an antenna from the trees like you have the wire. I’m worried about using the wire as is due to the limited tuning range of the built-in Icom tuner and lack of a counterpoise, but if I run the coax outside then we can put something more resonant up for a while until we get to the roof.

I might go back this weekend and try to clean the rigs and actually setup the operating position a little better than it is now. But we will be on the air before we know it!

The plan is to turn the desk so that the operator faces the fire closet. Widow on operator’s right.

The box for the conduits will go on the fire closet wall above the desk. ( outside the closet… )

That was the plan unless it’s has changed.

My understanding is that most of the current ham mesh networking is with the AREDN system. When I went out to meet @bpamplin at the Plano Radio Club for field day we had a very nice conversation with a ham (unfortunately his name is slipping my mind) about their current system, his mobile nodes, and the some of the plans for nodes they have warehoused waiting to be deployed.

Of course we could set up both systems, I’ve snagged a couple of the old linksys routers over the past few years so it would be fun to do something with them.

At the Arizona Science Center the W7ASC shack was setup with two operating positions they were basically a little desk with a button and a code practice oscillator built in, a mike jack for each radio, and a keyboard in a locked drawer. Above that is a cabinet with a bottom shelf where the PC, screen and mouse lived then two more shelves for radios, tuner, rotators, and where the mics lived when not in use. When you come in to work a shift you’d open up the cabinet pull out the top piece of plexiglass and the mouse and pull out the KB. if you wanted to work digital you were good to go, if you wanted to work phone you had to pull the mic out and plug it in. Seems like a really simple way to keep things contained.

It would also be nice to have the old BYO radio bench setup again more or less how it was.

I’m pretty sure there was one or more manual tuners in the black plastic bins, and I know there were a couple in the boxes of Walt’s legacy that @richmeyer brought in at one of the last sig meetings.

That needs a redesign.

Coax connectors at eye level pointed straight out are not good. We need to keep the cables along and parallel to the wall. Same for power. Place all the connectors on the bottom of a box, mount the box to the wall.

What’s the problem with how it was shown in the photo?

Sitting at the operator position and having cables in one’s face.

We have two fresh spools of lmr400 I donated for the cause.

3 Likes

From the photo it appeared to be higher but I suppose you were probably there at the time and saw it. I think that setup looks good if it is high enough to not be in the way. In my opinion, putting the connectors aiming down would make it hard to see their function/label and make connections when necessary. But all of that can be decided in due time.

I think that LMR-400 is planned for the on-roof portions out to the antennas.

Last time I talked with Rich he was planning on purchasing six (?) pre-fabricated N-N cables to connect the two boxes. Both boxes will have N feedthru connectors so we can use any of them at most frequencies of amateur interest. We can fit the ones for HF with N to UHF converters and cap the rest while unused.

Labels on the outward facing part of the box, connectors on the bottom. Easy enough.

With stiff coax, the cable was very much in the way at the old station.

That’s fair, I never really had a problem using it as was, but running the connectors downward and maybe moving them back a bit seems to make sense.

On the topic of a PC for the bench, we need to be looking around for a Win10 machine. We need one configured as we need it and set for easy restoration from the network. People tend to mess things up at the space. Easy access to member drives and such would be a good thing too.

It would probably be a good idea to set up a dedicated audio interface and a CAT interface for the bench. If possible get it down to one USB connection. That would make it easier if someone wants to operate using their own machine. We could also use a couple ( at least ) of network jacks on the bench. That will have to wait until we get the network drops finished in the north end of the building.

Many of us found the old station uncomfortable because it required sitting with the door behind the operator. I will argue vigorously against going back to that arrangement.

Windows is needed. DMS runs on windows. If you want a FrankenMac or whatever, no problem. Bring one, use it, then take it with you when done.

1 Like

I’ll second that sentiment

1 Like

Which is why you’ll be courteous and always use headphones. If you feel that sharing is simply a MUST, inexpensive headphone amplifiers with multiple outputs are readily available.

Please remember that DMS is a shared space. Headphones should be an obvious thing to do, so as not to disturb folks not only in electronics, but in the print area, 3D printing, science, etc.

If you’re there, and the only one in that end of the building, knock yourself out. No problem.

But I suspect that will be a rare situation, and planning ahead so you can go ahead and enjoy operating would be wise.

Also, please keep in mind that we are right in the middle of a long term expansion project, and that one of our group is a key player in that effort. Be patient.

As stated above: In early October, yes. I’m even willing to work on the roof then. And I’d like to get checked out on the lift.

But not until then.

Please stop trying to rush. It’s not helping.

Note that we need to assemble and test fit the boxes, connectors, ground connections, and arrestors. All at ground level. Prefereably indoors.

Then and only then do we install the conduits. Then the boxes. Then the cables and grounds.

Order matters.

You enthusiasm is appreciated. And there is a LOT to do.

We WILL get the station set back up, and make it better than before.

I’m looking forward to being able to bring up my TS-940 and doing some PSK work.

AREDN is a lot of fun too.

And we will finally get a UHF/VHF antenna up.

Stay tuned. :slight_smile: