I-35 trees coming down soon

They are clearing trees along I-35. I stopped and talked to a supervisor on the way in to work today to find out if I could scavange some downed or soon to be downed trees. A bunch already on the ground between Frankford and Sandy Lake and they are heading south.

I don’t have much free time in next few weeks but if anyone is interested in an evening expedition PM me.

Did you happen to know what species of trees?

I haven’t looked at what is down north of sandy lake, I think there are some live oaks south of I35.

Probably live oaks (they’re frequently chosen for landscaping), some Bradford pears (there are some of those in the block north of Valwood), crape myrtles. Of course, some of the perennial volunteers around here – elm, hackberry, cottonwood.

1 Like

They have cleared trees about halfway south of Sandy lake to Beltline, lots of big logs laying on the ground as of last night. One more block probably coming down today or tomorrow.
@Mrholthaus , @michaelroyal and I picked up 4 logs last night including the three for blacksmithing.

Plenty of short logs that would be good for bowl turning, if you get any make sure to paint or wax the end grain to slow the drying or they will crack, and take the bark off

4 Likes