Hybrid wood resin sphere

that is really cool, thanks for sharing that! I might have to try that with some resin and see how it turns out.

1 Like

:neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::expressionless::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: there needs to be a bad pun flag

1 Like

Also known as a pun flag

2 Likes

Deets on pen process again courtesy of Mark Haney

Sure, simple but messy. I just cut an old damaged book from the spine. Layered 15-20 pages together with epoxy resin drizzled between. Rolled into a tight tube and secured with zip tie. All this while wearing gloves since you really get your hands in the epoxy. Once the epoxy is hardened, just cut and prep like any other pen blank. One thing I learned is make sure to put some epoxy between the pages as it will not seep in deep enough to solidify the entire blank if just put on outer edge.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! That doesnā€™t sound too terribly hard, just messy. I am going to make 2 assumptions: a- apply the rolled up and epoxied pages directly to your pen tube(s), and b- CA finish the final turned tube.

The ca finish Iā€™m sure, he seemed to imply cutting and drilling like normal. I can see either option

I would think, that unless you have rolled your pages with herculean effort, that it might not roll up tight enough, but it might be worth trying both as an experiment. (also rolling the epoxy laden pages right onto your tubes saves you a step)

I also think that if you rolled up some pages, then submerged the roll into some resin under a vacuum, that it would work as well.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I assuemrd the zip ties were for and making sure you put resin in between the pages, it would definitely be quicker to add the to begin with. I wonder how much epoxy would leak into the tubes, Iā€™m not familiar with the way that stuff works

I imagine youā€™d get some, but the barrel trimmer would clear it out.

First Meeting is up, Iā€™m tagging the folks who seemed most interested. Sorry if I inadvertently left someone out.

@indytruks138 @Nate @scubatiffy27 @coloneldan @Webdevel @Scott_Blevins @chliki @agvet @mdredmond @kearstin @Narkane @mblatz

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6960

3 Likes

Wow, session 1 filled up super fast! Now session 2 is up, where I will cover my process of resin casting a hybrid wood-resin blank. The first hours is scheduled in the Purple room for 12 participants, then we will make our way over to the workshop tables for a live demo.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6996

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to attend as a standby if someone canā€™t make it.

For Session 1 there should be room. I set the cap at 12 people thinking I was going to use the Purple room, but then it was full and I switched to Interactive which can accommodate way more. The system does let me edit verbiage and room location, but not the number of open spots. The issue will be finding room for Session 2 since that one is definitely in Purple. Hope to see you there!

1 Like

I wanted to bump this thread again for a secondary interest check. a few of you mentioned you were interested in a group buy to make a blank. I got enough stuff to make 8, however I wanted to make 4 of these for myself (and gifts); so I am willing to part with 4 of them at cost ($35 for a 4x4 blank). Who all might want in on this? My participation is showing up and helping you cast your own resin-hybrid blank as I have already stabilized the 8 lace maple burl pieces. If there is interest for more than 4 of these then I would be happy to help folks source the materials and be there to help with all the steps of the process. Iā€™d love to see a few of these on the show and tell shelves in the lobby.

tagging the folks who sounded interested- @indytruks138 @coloneldan @chliki @agvet @mblatz @mdredmond

On a secondary note, it would appear we do have a sphere turning Jig at DMS over in the bin under the tool sharpener. Glad we saw that yesterday so folks can know its there. I have no idea what kind of shape it is in though.

Edit- I should also add that I have no problem making and keeping all 8 of these for myself if the interest has waned. I donā€™t want anyone to feel in any way obligated.

1 Like

Count me in.

I already have a very nice set of blanks if I decide to make one for myself. I appreciate the officer, however.

1 Like

Iā€™m in! Will we make the blanks together?

That was the plan, yes. I would just meet individually with folks based on our mutual schedules. Since my pressure pot can only accommodate 1 blank at a time (plus I only made 1 mold) then it would essentially be a 1 on 1 meeting to do the casting every 24 hours (thatā€™s the full cure time). I sure hope thereā€™s a storage shelf slot available when we get startedā€¦

Pressure pot class? :wink:

Iā€™m interested as well. Would love to turn one into a lamp.

1 Like