Hybrid wood resin sphere

Ive seen one in CA, but I was just going to bring my own for this project.

Thatā€™s the one I was thinking of

Would something like this be helpful for doing that? I sort of doubt my ability to accurately eyeball a perfect sphere.

http://www.carterproducts.com/turning-tools/perfect-sphere/perfect-spheretm-tool

I think at $350 to ensure a perfect sphere, thats a heck of an investment. Iā€™ve seen some turners make their own system of the chuck cups out of wood and then freehand turn the sphere. Iā€™m banking on using the some chuck cups and turning it on the X, Y and Z axis to freehand the sphere. I was considering their chuck system for the sake of ease, but weā€™ll see- http://www.carterproducts.com/turning-tools/perfect-sphere/the-perfect-sphere-chuck-1914

By that do you mean itā€™s too big an investment or that itā€™s a good one?

If there is enough interest, perhaps we could crowdsource the cost? Thatā€™s what we did with the Incra router table. I contributed about 12% of its cost.

1 Like

If I was going to be making these regularly and selling them, then I would consider it. But I had planned on making a couple for fun, and maybe throwing one in my Etsy store if they didnā€™t suck. Would I spend $350 on a tool I was going to just use a few times for funsies? No. Plus I am fairly confident I can get a close approximation to a sphere by hand. Edit-or at least an egg!

I do like how you think though, that system would allow folks at the space to use it and make some turned spheres. Iā€™d pitch in on that.

Iā€™d gladly pitch $50 (maybe more). Especially knowing that I could then make my own in machine shop :wink:

1 Like

thatā€™s a good point. I often times buy something so I can reverse engineer it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The best thing about makerspace is access to tools that you might only use once or twice a year that you wouldnā€™t buy even if you could afford them.

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely, I would be interested! Have watched most of the series on YouTube, but am intimidated by the cost of materials, trying to put all the requisite skills together, and the likelihood that I will screw it up on my ownā€¦
Having a group to work with and someone who has successfully completed it would totally get me over that hump.

Thatā€™s what pictures and questionably procured specs are for man. That said I believe the guy in the link below has a pretty simple setup like you were saying for getting decent spheres. Kinda worry about letting a tool that looks super breakable for being 350 out into the dms wilds.

Iā€™ve seen and talked with Jimmy A about Spears a couple of times, while he turn them at DMS. I have no idea if the equipment he was using was his or if it was DMS. He was using the spear tool in the link someone listed above.

Side topic: I saw a pen turned from an epoxied book, that seems pretty cool

2 Likes

That sounds pretty cool. Pics or link?

That was three days ago, you know how many YouTube videos and articles Iā€™ve read since then :expressionless:

2 Likes

Could one CNC the top to create a small ā€œenvironmentā€? think like inside a snowglobe. I donā€™t see why not other than not having multicam clearance I suppose.
If so id be interested as well!

1 Like

O, do.you mean instead of having the top of the wood just broken, cnc a landscape on it?

Yeah! I think thatd be awesome personally.

What did you have in mind for the landscape? Might almost be easier for you to create that on the piece of wood first, then resin fill it and turn it.

Pics are courtesy of Mark Haney, Iā€™m in the FB group woodturning connection, itā€™s pretty cool. No idea on the process other than itā€™s epoxy and paper

1 Like