Hybrid wood resin sphere

The creative bug is hitting me kind of hard to make one of these. Anyone interested in coming along for the ride? I can set up a few project meetings for each of the stages involved.

I need to save a few dollars to get the equipment and materials needed so maybe around mid to end of August?

7 Likes

I would love to do one of these!

1 Like

What do you plan as the approximate size?

I’m in, too. I even have some excellent Maple burl I could use.

2 Likes

My initial thoughts would be a 4x4 blank that would cut somewhere closer to 3-3.5 in sphere. I’m thinking this size for a couple of reasons, but mostly cost due to the amount of resin that it would take. initial projections are about 25-28 oz of resin per sphere so I could get about 5 out of a gallon.

2 Likes

I am not sure if there are better epoxy brands for this, but I would suggest Ecopoxy 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener for a project like this. You can pour 1.75" thick and all the bubbles rise out on their own over a 3 day cure.

1 Like

I’d like to place an order for 3 for juggling thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks! I have been toying with the idea of switching resins, currently I use Alumilite for woodworking. I just looked and it looks like the Alumilite is still slightly cheaper (and it doesn’t have a max pour thickness).

I sure hope you are paying in exposure!

2 Likes

3 Likes

But yes I am interested

hahaha! don’t worry, I will be doing all the steps. Anyone who wants to come along for the ride to learn are welcome. I’m just trying to gauge interest on who wants to see it done. Sounds like there’s enough folks that I can start planning some meetings on it.

1 Like

Here’s what I am thinking so far.
Meeting 1- Discuss the process steps, cut the piece of wood, and start the stabilization process. anyone who comes to this meeting can see what all is involved and learn how a piece of wood is stabilized.
Meeting 2- How to make a mold for resin casting, and doing the resin cast. Anyone who comes to the meeting can see how I make resin molds, how to mix and color the resin, and using a pressure pot.
Meeting 3- Demo making the sphere (no pressure with a crowd, right?). anyone who comes to the meeting can see how a sphere is turned, and the insane number of steps to sand and polish resin to a mirror finish.

1 Like

Would this be something where we can do the steps with you and create our own sphere?

I hesitate to make it a full on group project for a couple of reasons, but hit me up in a DM and we can discuss. My #1 reservation is someone dropping somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 and then it not work out for some reason; I’d rather not take the “blame” or guilt of someone else makes a good blank but it shatters when they are turning it. I’d be happy to help anyone make their own, but maybe let me make a few to work out any kinks first?

2 Likes

I’m good with that. I don’t mind dropping the $35, I’ve had plenty of projects not work out, but this is something I’ve wanted to make after seeing a youtube video on it.

2 Likes

Count me in on this adventure.

2 Likes

I’m down. I’m also willing to offer some cash for a material group buy

1 Like

I’d be interested as well. Wouldn’t mind burning $35 even if it doesn’t work. I get the reservations though, it’s what makes me hesitant to try things for other people. If I waste my own money, whatever. If I waste someone elses, ehhh.

1 Like

Exactly. I’m thinking that after I successfully make one, that if anyone else wants to make one using my equipment and absolve me of any blame should it go wrong, then I may be amenable. One step at a time though.

1 Like

We did find the spaces pressure pot, yeah?