Hybrid SUVs - Opinions please

For all the car folks.

I have a friend who has a small SUV on lease. She would like to replace it with an equivalent SUV that is a hybrid.

She is looking at the Kia Niro. It is a new car. I have never like 1.0 releases. The upside is 50mpg.

I told her I knew people and would ask. Thanks.

3 Likes

I would take on any trivial pursuit event with the DMS people.

1 Like

I have a wagon, not a hybrid, one traditional battery and goes 700 miles on 14 gallons of fuel. One of these days I’ll install my long range 5th gear set to go farther…

1 Like

Have had two First Gen Prius and now have a Nissan Leaf. They’ve all been good cars. Not as many moving parts means lots less stuff to break. Of course, when it does break, it’s not like you can fix it on the side of the road with hand tools. One Prius was totaled out, the other we replaced the batteries ourselves (took most of a weekend, but was feasible).

1 Like

Maybe that just helped!! Did I just blow your mind?

1 Like

I don’t mind hybrids, I don’t mind SUVs, but I’m still not sold on Kia. They’re still making what I consider to be 80% of a car. They’re missing all of the little details that make a car good. Materials, ergonomics, fit and finish, NVH, I find them to be lacking. Drive a new Forte, then drive a 5 year old Civic, and tell me you’d rather spend a commute in the newer car.

Besides, if you want a crossover, get a wagon.

One more bit of data. There are some handicap / range of motion issues. Getting in and out of an SUV height vehicle is better and easier.

I am not in love with the KIA. I am in agreement with the 80% comment.

The question is what else is available that IS functional.

Literally the entire industry manufactures CUVs. I’m partial to Mazda’s offerings of late, across the board. Fuel economy isn’t 51mpg, but you don’t have to drive 80% of a car.

Also I’m skeptical of hybrid mpg claims.

Here’s what I saw the other night in slower moving traffic(45-50) in a 55 zone.