HUGE Display Cabinet Going into the Lobby

PR is stepping up the game for completed works.

This week we will install a 4’ x 6’ display cabinet in the Lobby with lighting and a lock.

Items will be jury selected to be displayed. Typically for 3 months. Items will be attributed to the maker.

Items can be shown, it is NOT a market. There will be no prices. There will be contact information. Probably a comment like “For Sale” or “Display Only”. All else is up to you.

There will be rules. (More to come.)

We want a place to show off the best of DMS.

Contact me if you have any questions, @Diplomat.

17 Likes

This sooooo great! We really need our work on display during tours. I wish each Dept had one. I’ll be happy to put one of my teapots in it, if the spaces are large enough. :crazy_face: but I’ll be wanting it back.

5 Likes

On loan. All is well.

I think there will be room.

2 Likes

cool. just let us know how to submit something.

6 Likes

That’s great. I’d love to show off some of our Leather projects there!

4 Likes

This is awesome, I can’t wait to see things displayed in the shelf. I kind of hate to see the move toward jury selection though. I like to judge for myself what is art and not have someone else do that for me. I would also hate to see a new member discouraged if they are told that their art is not good enough for the display shelf. There are plenty of other places and especially shows that are all about jury selection if people are into that and I hate to take away from the positive environment that DMS has always had for new, learning makers. It’s a lot more fun to see various skill levels on display and to see other people’s work improve over time. But I’m still really excited about finally having a nice display shelf in the lobby and appreciate everyone’s work on this. Will it be OK to post pictures of items that are displayed to social media?

5 Likes

I do not understand where this is coming into play.
Do you mean because we have to “talk to someone” before an item can go on display in the case?
How is that different from in the past?
I’m sure it sounds like I’m being nitpicky and I don’t intend it that way, but I have the impression ANYTHING on display @ DMS has always been “jury selection” as I understand it (i.e. someone had to “pick it” for display, sometimes because there were rules, like for the 10x10 it had to fit in the alloted space and you had to be willing to put it out there where anyone could touch, lick, walk off with it, even though none of those were likely intentional, etc. or for the other displays SOMEONE had to decide what was being shown…).

Maybe a better way of asking my question is: How do we pick what can be in the display case such that it does not become “jury selection”?

I certainly hope so, with proper attribution, certainly… Do you mean in DMS’ name (i.e. DMS social media accounts) or personal accounts (“hey look at this neato thing on display @ DMS made by Paul Ruebens!”)? Either way, I hope so…

2 Likes

From the post about it:

2 Likes

It was ONE TIME!:blankspace::blankspace::blankspace::blankspace:

5 Likes

Dear Lord,

Please remove this selective blindness which has settled upon my eyes. This morning, it took me innumerable (by mere humans; I’m sure you have the number at your divine fingertips) re-reads to spot the simplest of passages in a not-complex bit of prose regarding “jury selection” of display items at my favorite Makerspace. This incident alone cost me undetermined credibility in the proofreading department, and more importantly reduces the overall discourse on this topic. So, please, for the sake of others, allow me to see what is clearly right in front of me.
Faithfully, your servant, JaST.

5 Likes

My thoughts, its not so mush a jury, as it would be a team to select different levels and types of art for each 3 mo section of time, to prevent the the same people from displaying all the item, and keep a assortment of different types or art displayed.

5 Likes

this should get rotated at least every 60 days to keep it fresh and so more people get a chance to display. But then if the request for our committee for display items for open house taught me anything is that there weren’t a lot of people wanting to be ‘on display’.

4 Likes

How deep is it?
The lobby is slightly crowded as-is, but my only concern really is if this will effect my quality time with the pinball machines. lol

2 Likes

Pinball machines are only temporary, I assume they would mostly be removed with this new installation.

I think we will have 1 on loan in the lobby. If VECTOR is willing. ALL pinball machines are personal property.

We were “showing off” the winners from the Texas Pinball Festival.

1 Like

I sure hope so! I try to play at least a game or two every time I visit to get my fix.

1 Like

@Diplomat
please dont toss out the metal D20 I have in the current cabinet. its there to show what can be done with the plasma cutter and welding in less than an hour.

PLEASE GIVE IT A ROLL (but dont break any toes)

If you need its space for another project, let me know

5 Likes

I know that is yours. On loan to the Lobby.

Crazy talk, throwing out a huge D20. No worries.

Might move it to a corner of the lobby with a sign that says “try me”.

It would be a hit, i promise

3 Likes

4 Likes