HPHT Pressure Vessel

Anybody know of an idea / source for a 5-50 gallon high pressure / high temperature pressure vessel? I’m looking for something capable of accumulating “a little” industrial process steam in. Ok, a bunch of steam.

Generally, it needs to be capable of withstanding pressure between 1000-1500 psi and temps around the 500-1000 deg F. range.

I’ve seen a few scientific reactor vessels in the .1-1L range, but can’t find anything readily made / spec’d in what I will refer to as “pilot” size (think big-ass water heater or shop compressor size). I’m thinking it’s something sourced from a boilermaker, as they’re in the same ASME code.

I’m all out of google search terms so I figured I’d throw this one out here for all the engineering-minded insomniacs like me. Cost is not a consideration right now. Please and thank you!

Jeff

Jeff,

You might try an auction or two like:

https://www.lsoauctions.com/

There is always ordering a new vessel, but if you have a budget, an auction may be the way to go.
Something the size you are looking for will most likely be found from a Gov’t or educational facility. Odd items like that surface from time to time so your search through auction sites will take time and patience.

If /when you do find your vessel - please share where you found it.

If going with new - I’d recommend visiting this shop - he is just south of the Makerspace and is one of the oldest / best metal shops in Dallas.
Ed Ragsdale Sheet Metal Co Inc
Address: 1746 Rhome St, Dallas, TX 75229
Phone: (972) 869-1611

Don’t let the “sheet metal” in the name mislead you - Ragsdale is a master fabricator

3 Likes

The only “vessel” place I know of in town is Cleaver Brooks (used to be Holman Boiler works).
Do you have a High Pressure Boiler now?

1 Like

I’d be careful of something used unless you can get it tested / re-certified.

Nope. I didnt realize cleaver brooks was local. They’re probably the ones to contact.

Don’t worry, I’ve got a little piece of sheet metal I intend to hide behind… :wink:

Hope so!

1 Like

If you have trouble making headway on this, let me know. One of my good friends has been down in Houston designing pressure vessels for a few years now, I imagine he could point you in the right direction.

(Start technical jargon)
For reference, I did some quick hoop stress calcs to give you an idea of what would be involved for a pressure vessel to hold up to those pressure and temperature parameters:

Material of construction: 316 stainless steel (nominal yield strength of 42.1ksi, good high temp characteristics)
Minimum safety factor required by ASME pressure vessel code: 3.5 to 1 (used to be 4.0 to 1)
Cylinder dimensions to safely achieve ~50gal capacity: 16" OD x 72" length with 1" wall thickness (hemispherical ends)
Hoop stress would be 11250 psi (3.75 to 1 SF).

Now a real pressure vessel guy would be able to give you a more optimized shape, but I would expect it to be a long, skinny cylinder to help minimize the hoop stress and not make the wall thickness unreasonable. I picked a stainless steel for reference simply because of its performance at higher temps and corrosion resistance, but it might not be the most cost effective solution.
(End technical jargon)

OMG, :+1: water heater video! - thought it would be a fail! Surprising there is no rupture disk or safety built into it, but then, that’s what the high pressure relief valve is for, eh?

Steve, thanks for the quick math. I’d definitely like to get in contact with your Houston guy!

Jeff