HP 8593A Spectrum Analyzer

Found this over by the windows.
Very nice piece of gear.
Any information?
Op status?

1 Like

That is a super nice piece of gear, I wish I had one. So much fun to be had.

Lab grade version of what Walter donated.
Impressive bandwidth.
The little warning sign of 0 vdc under the input says it all.
If you don’t know what that means, you need to leave this alone.
@richmeyer is going to check it out.

Well, if it is DMS’, perhaps we can get a nice DC block and just keep it attached to the front end.

Something like this (which is for SMA connectors) perhaps: https://www.rfmw.com/Products/Detail/70061-API-Weinschel/575339/

2 Likes

Rich and I found it on the floor by the fire cabinet.

There’s a dc block and attenuator in the bin w/ the analyzer Walter donated. It’s proamateur piece of gear w/ a much more tolerant input.

If the HP is in good op condition or is easily repairable, probably need to restrict access to.

1 Like

That’s interesting.
Got a date/time?

@PearceDunlap do you recall seeing this when you were cleaning out the cabinet?

Nothing fun like that in or on top of the fire cabinet. Haven’t seen it in the storage units either

Interested in learning … what would the p-p max?

I’ll check out that Spectrum Analyzer on Sunday. Every Spectrum Analyzer has a very sensitive front end circuit. One should always start out with at least a 20dB attenuator on the input until you know what the actual signal level is. Never, never put any type of DC voltage on the input. I’ll donate a 20dB attenuator pad for this unit. I wish I had another DC Block pad as well but I don’t. If the Spectrum Analyzer is in working condition than I would strongly suggest we buy a DC Block pad for it. They cost under $20 but saves several hundred $$ in repairs. I donated the attenuator and DC Block pad for our other Spectrum Analyzer.

1 Like

If a DC block is so important why are they not built in? What would be a good use case for this equipment?

Amateur radio builds, emi/rfi acceptance testing (FCC stuff).
With tracking generator (built in) - design, build, test, tweak filters and so much more.

1 Like

This specific Spectrum Analyzer can analyze a very wide frequency range from 9 kHz up to 22 GHz. A DC Block pad is frequency dependent and the properly trained operator must understand exactly what he is doing to make sure that the DC Block is not actually blocking the signal he is wanting to look at. The same with the 20dB pad. The DC Block and 20dB pad should be on this unit just in case someone at DMS thinks this is just a standard oscilloscope. The front end circuitry is very sensitive, just trying to measure a simple 9 volt battery will destroy the input circuitry.

I have repaired a similar model of this Spectrum Analyzer. The cost of a used attenuator module on eBay was about $200 (new cost is $1,500 if you can find one) and took about 4 hours of labor to replace and re-calibrate the unit.

This is a great piece of equipment and would be a great asset for the Amateur Radio SIG.

2 Likes

This HP Spectrum Analyzer does not have the built-in tracking generator option. Sorry, wish it did.

I just came in on Sunday to check out the HP Spectrum Analyzer. I cannot find it in the Electronics Lab. Did someone lock it up?

Yes, it’s in one of the locking cabinets there facing inward into the eLab.

Right before the last time I saw you.

And I meant the new fire riser closet. Not the old flammables cabinet.

Finally got the full story on the spectrum analyzer.
It was never intended to be a donation.
A new member had left it in the ELab and was not able to retrieve it before I found it.
It was not in good working condition and was acquired for parts.

1 Like