#HowToSpotFakeNews

Andrew,

Please take a chill pill. No one on here is attacking you. But you are making it very difficult not to just dismiss you out of hand.

Several of us have pointed out examples of where you have misguided ideas about firearms, mostly because you listen to the lies put up by anti-gun forces in the media and elsewhere. You refuse to acknowledge that what a gun “looks like” doesn’t effect how dangerous it is.

Nearly every major media story on firearms has enough factual errors and omissions to qualify as “fake news” in my eyes. In most cases, too many errors and omissions to be accidental or explained by ignorance.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter if I don’t like the click bait or not.
It still is misleading, a lie; therefore fake or falsehood.
He didn’t buy the AR-15(contrary to his title), neither did he undergo a background check(which he alludes to as not having to undergo to purchase his firearm).
His click bait undermines the site’s endeavor to be a credible new site(if that is the objective); if it is not then the whole site is suspect.
If you don’t agree, then you don’t agree.

2 Likes

If your desire is below, this has been touched upon many times

Second post of this thread:

And much more recently

Let’s all agree everyone understand why people are saying this is fake news, because the article headline and content is a lie, he didn’t buy a gun, and no one here knows if he could have because we don’t have the results of his background check. That isn’t sensationalism, its a lie, and that lie from this article was then shared during the town-hall with Trump, which is the same kind of negative effect liberals hate when the right spreads fake news, so I would say this falls into the same fake news umbrella.

I personally don’t think there is a valid argument to sell AR-15 style weapons, but that belief is moot for this discussion, but I think the critical thinking you are wanting has been done and already addressed.

4 Likes

So, now the article reads

Vs

Read the editor’s note.

Sites and authors like these go in my mental filing cabinet under non-credible, take with many grains of salt, good for entertainment, and forum fodder.

Just my opinion, not disparaging them or anything,

P.S. I wonder why it’s filed under Politics on the site…
P.P.S. I also wonder why there’s no date & time stamp when the edit took place as is usual practice on most sites…

OK, completely off the rails but we get it. How about discussing Hatchers? :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll say this for you: your posts have made me laugh harder than I have in a long time. They say laughter is the best medicine (are you board certified?), so cheers for that…

Why would anyone want to share their opinions with you after this lengthy childish out bursting you have shown on this thread. Add to that the obvious bating that you added to everyone of your questions, specifically highlighting your later attack points you intend to use against any response that doesn’t directly agree with your view point.

You claim multipler times that you are not pushing an agenda, to then come to the end and announce the agenda you are pushing.

You slander everyone you disagree with a lengthy set of horribly disparaging statements.

Step away, this is not the place for you to spread your hatred.

Douglas Adams said it best: ‘All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.’

5 Likes

Heard somewhere else, hashing my own bit in. :smiley:

Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one but that doesn’t mean you should show people yours any time you want. :smiley:

Edit: not referring to sbwart’s opinion but opinions in general.

1 Like

Andrew. If you do another hate filled screed like that one, you will be removed from the Talk forum.

This kind of garbage is specifically against DMS rules. Yes, I know it is “sarcasm”, yes, I know you don’t mean any of it, and yes, I know you think it is clever… it is not.

It is hate speech and this is not a government forum, so no, you don’t have free speech on the Talk forum. This is your only warning.

5 Likes

Ok.

You are absolutely right. I should not have said that. It was in heat and it was inappropriate. For that, I apologize. I was upset that throughout this thread, everything I said has been warped into some other meaning and maligned. Carefully wording my posts (at first), trying to make a measured point on the difference between something that seems to threaten your viewpoint and something which is patently false. Pointing out simply that there was nothing completely false in an article meant that clearly, I was just a Liberal Shill here to ban everyone’s guns. And so it devolved from there.

All I ever tried to do was encourage critical thinking of what people read rather than writing off everything as Fake. Yet it seems like its a message that is just too difficult for me to make. I wanted to create intellectual discourse and the understanding that we can’t just attack whatever we disagree with (while falling into the same thing myself clearly) as I got angry. I felt like no matter how carefully I worded my word, people would take something else out of it that I never meant to say, something that I don’t believe or support. It was like the twilight zone. It was such an exercise in futility and maddening.

There’s no point for me being here. Like literally none at all. I’m done. You guys win. I am out.

I admit I was wrong. Everything I said was made up. I am a liberal shill. A Russian bot. I am an idiot. I don’t deserve the air I breathe or the land I walk on. I seriously rue the day I was born. I regret ever discovering how to use a computer. Ever discovering DMS. Ever discovering this message board. I suck at life. I should never be allowed to share my opinion. Its not worth two shits. And its wrong anyway. So I don’t know why I bother.

I agree. I agree with you.

@Ferman- I agree with you. You are totally right. I am totally wringing.

@sbwart You are totally right, I should not have opened my mouth. Your use of gifs that aren’t gifs but are really whole other posts is unique and clever.

@Nick I feel like the slime on the bottom of someone’s shoes, I feel like snot, like nothing, less than nothing. Your wit utterly destroys me. I capitulate. You have ground me into such pulp that I lay awake at night thinking about it. I think I will remember it until the day I die.

@mblatz I am a fraud. All the fancy pieces of the paper in the world couldn’t fill the empty hole inside. You are absolutely right. My scores were in the 99th/ 93rd and 97th %ile amoung MDs worldwide in the boards. Yet I am an utter failure. I have nothing to show for myself, a miserable and lonely life and not an iota of success or respect. So you are right. Board certified, why bother. Surrendered my license already when my self-loathing led me to drugs. Got clean, still a piece of shit. No one wants to come see me anyway. Intelligence isn’t worth shit, when every redneck with a keyboard can anonymously call you names.

@indytruks138 you are right, it’s been discussed and I hammered it into the ground. I should have learned my own lesson right. Thank you for being civil.

@jast Fugitive Slave act of 1793 among many many others. But IDK with how wrong I’ve been this past week, I wouldn’t even trust me. I’m sure you can google it. Or think what you want.

@StanSimmons I apologize. I am chilling now. I am getting off this message board. I apologize. I am not buying into anti-gun hysteria- just the anti-free speech hysteria. Agree or shut up

@Owen_Soccer22 Everything you say is brilliant. It is so spot on. I can’t believe I ever thought I could best you in wit. Your sluglike intellect bests mine every time. Your kindness, reason, clarity, and use of caps are brilliant.

@dryad2b stay away from the man. Words like that will get you killed in here.

@Esmith your use of a chart copied and pasted successfully convinced most the people in the group that you were right and I was wrong. I am not sure about what. But clearly they were convinced because you know, its a chart. And I am sure I said something about it somewhere. Oh, well I mentioned assault rifle I think, I never said anything else remotely related to what you showed, but show me you did. Bravo,

To all of you, whose time I wasted. I sincerely apologize. Please forgive me. I should never have said anything at all. I apologize for being so wrong, so frequently, and so loquaciously. I hope everyone has a good week. I will stay away from discussions where I might bring controversy.

If you have received actual threats, they need to be reported to Admin or the board for action. Doing nothing is not the way to go on this.

I’m not mad at you, at least. Just wish you would type less, and be more clear and concise when you do. Let’s go get a beer sometime.

If you mean you are quitting DMS or planning not to come back in, that’s not the way to go either, although clearly your choice. But it’s not the right thing to hold everyone responsible for the few. Think critically about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We can all restart in a new thread.