How would you cut this?

that i do not know…

although, if youre into turning or epoxy projects, @worldwide_burl on instagram has daily posts/auctions for some of the most beautiful (mostly maple) burl ive seen. ive seen some really amazing turned projects from some of his blanks. ive gotten some 3’ long burl pieces for about $60, highly recommend

(some of the pieces ive made from their products)

9 Likes

How much was the shipping from Oregon? They’ve got some beautiful pieces!

I love Olive wood. I once turned Olive (smelled like Italian dressing) and maple burl (smelled like syrup) in the same rotation. I was hungry all damn day. :smile:

2 Likes

In any other context this would be a very odd statement but in this situation it’s completely normal and agreeable lol

3 Likes

it was like $20 to ship, ive bought a lot of stuff from them and have loved every piece

@nicksilva they really do smell so good!!

2 Likes

We need an outrageous-when-no-context quote wall.

4 Likes

You can hot glue the blank to two squares of plywood. You can walk it thru the Laguna without the fence. It’s like @HankCowdog 's suggestion without drilling into the material.

I prefer this over clamping. It’s more secure as you go thru the cut without a need to readjust the clamps and add wedges to prevent binding.

Hot glue releases it’s hold with alcohol.

1 Like

So once you’re done, take it back home and drink until the plywood pops off. Wow woodworking has so many side benefits to it! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I appreciate everyones responses! since the laguna was still down i did some research and was able to take it to Phillips Forest Products mill (great mill with awesome slabs if yall havent been out there) and they cut it on their horizontal band saw in 5 seconds time!

7 Likes

Did they charge a lot? That might be a good way to get something cut that’s odd shaped or big to save on the trouble doing it at the space. :thinking:

so this piece was just small enough to fit through their smaller machine, im not sure if theyd be able to do public projects on their larger machines. they offered to do it plus help on a few other projects of mine for $100. they also gave me a tour around their mill. granted its 2.5 hrs outside DFW

2 Likes