How would I make a replacement part for this?

I have been gifted an antique sewing machine that’s missing the semi-circular needle plate. The plate is shiny stainless steel, I think.

Precision is important, since there are rectangular holes that need to line up to the mechanism underneath, which comes up through the holes to grab the fabric.

It’s not available anywhere I checked online.

I managed to get an exact size pencil-rubbed image of it.

1. Would this be something I could scan and have the plasma cutter make if?

2. Where would I get the metal?

3. What app can I use to make sure it stays the same size as the image?

Thanks!

1 Like

How thick does it need to be? I suspect thickness needs to be precise because if it’s higher or lower than the surrounding machine, the fabric will bind. I don’t think the plasma cutter is going to be very good with very thin stock, but I could be wrong.

If it were me, I would prototype it on the laser cutter using the appropriate thickness of hobby plywood (or acrylic) to make sure it will fit and operate correctly.

If you can tolerate aluminum, you can probably make it fairly easily on the Shapeoko, assuming the material will be a standard thickness. Will it need a recessed edge to fit into the opening?

1 Like

Illustrator will do the layout with precision. There are many others (Fusion 360, Solidworks, even Paint) that can create a .dxf or .svg convertible file.

You might want to cut a little oversized (maybe 0.50") so you can buff off the edge for a nice finish.

2 Likes

More like 0.005" … a half inch is a lot to buff off.

4 Likes

oops, I meant to post 0.050"

good catch

2 Likes

This idea could work! If I can start using the machine more rapidly with laser cutting, I might not need to go the metal route right now. I want to learn eventually, but this might do the job for now.

what size is this little part of yours?? bigger than a Saturn 5 smaller than a dollar bill about the size of a quarter?

1 Like

My observation would be the plasma cutter would be too rough-cut. If it has to be metal, seems like it would be a machine shop project. But have you considered a 3D print?

And while the part may not be “off the shelf” available online, there may be resources within the vintage sewing machine community.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, these sewing plates are about 1/32" thick, ,appr, 1.5-2.0 mm thick, with a beveled edge. There is an “H” shaped pattern in the center, which allows the needle to penetrate.

This isn’t a difficult piece, and it’s easily reproduced The problem is that it can’t be completely reproduced on the plasma cutter. It will only give you a rough reproduction which you will then need to machine down to perfection. To make this piece “drop in” to a sewing machine, you will need to do a good amount of precision grinding & polishing.

1 Like

Define old. They were made of chromed brass into the fifties. Now they are stainless.
I would suggest making a resin 3D print. It’s easier to modify. Then go with stainless or brass once the plastic one is proven to work.

6 Likes

What make and model is the machine? My brother owns a sewing machine store, and I can run the part past him, as he does have some parts for old machines, along with being able to order from most of the manufacturers.

Hi @Tony, it’s a Morse Fotomatic IV zig zag 4400. Thanks for checking.

It looks like 50’s but might be 60’s.

Here’s a pic of the sewing machine. The needle plate (semicircle) is circled in red. I have no idea how I lost the part.

Thank you to everyone for your great suggestions!

Definitely smaller than these Saturn rockets :grinning:

I’m kinda thinking at that gauge just use a jewelry saw and a graver to put the lines on it.

1 Like

He will take a look through his parts bins tomorrow, as there might actually be one around.
Though, there was a comment about throwing a few of those machines away and getting something newer… :laughing:

1 Like

It has a pretty complex hole pattern that the needle passes through. Might be interesting to design without one to look at. Even a photocopy of one would be very helpful.

The band saw in the machine shop will cut the metal and the screw holes drilled on the mill with the DRO. the slots can be put in with the shearline mill or the Bridgeport and the corners cleaned up with a jeweler’s file or saw. Clean up the edges on the disk sander in metal shop.

1 Like

If he only knew… I’ve seen YouTube videos where these things sewed through six layers of leather and another demo of a stack of denim without a hiccup. Don’t get rid of these - the newer ones choke on a fraction of the fabric these can handle.