How would I laser this

So I want to laser a name in a piece of wood, but I basically want the background to be “fill” and the letters to remain untouched wood, so they’re raised and pronounced vs the black lasered away back ground but haven’t figured a way to do this that doesn’t first outline the letters and then just starts lasering everything letter included away! And help!?

Make a “negative” of your image (white text on a black background) and raster (not vector) print the image.

Details are available on this post I made in 2017 on making a leather embossing stamp.

Note that mirroring is only needed if being used as a stamp.

2 Likes

Seem like you need to do the image as a raster engraving.

If you’re working with Lightburn, make the vector of your letters and then use the box vector tool on the top left side to draw a box around them. Put both the box and the letters into the same layer, give them engrave settings, and make sure your mode is set to ‘Fill’.

That should do what you need.

No that’s what I did and it cuts the letters and then proceeds to just start cutting the whole box, by cutting I mean “fill”

So what exactly is a raster and are there any special setting needed or anything like that or just good to go when you turn it into a negative raster?

Are you currently at the space?

Headed up there now, how long are you gonna be there?

A while, probably. I do want to leave soon-ish, but I’ll be around for a bit

Still on your way?

I saw your tests. You 100% did not have the text and the rectangle on the same layer.

1 Like

(I say that under the assumption you used a vector for the text. If the text is a bitmap this doesn’t work. Just wanted to clarify)

Haha it’s funny you found my test, but no you’re 100% I tried it out with the setting you had and it worked perfectly

I appreciate all the help

6 Likes

Looks Great!

How long did that take on the laser?

Literally once I had it all lined up less than 3 mins, so I went with low lines per inch, and just etched the top of a piece of 8/4 curly maple then just cut the bevels to fit the borders then sanded so all in all 15 mins start to finish

1 Like