How to sublimate a 9" long tumbler

I got some ‘skinny’ 20oz dye sublimation tumblers but when I was up at the space last weekend noticed that we don’t have a heat press that is 9.25" long :frowning:. Any suggestions for how I might be able to press these? The manufacturer does suggest an oven method, but all the reviews I’ve read suggest a heat press is both faster and will yield better results.

Maybe @CaryF300 has some knowledge…

1 Like

The 3D Vacu-U-Press that we use for mugs has a working area of 300mm x 400mm, which should be plenty big. The issue is that you’re going to have to cobble together some type of a clamp to hold your artwork onto your tumbler. You might be able to do that with something like a rubber pad or a sturdy mouse pad and some hose clamps.

3D Vac-U-Press

3D Vac-U-Press

This heat press helps to fully sublimate curved products using an air-forced vacuum and thin silicon pad. Our vacuum press allows you to create phone cases, tiles, and more with all-over sublimation (additional inserts or jigs may be necessary). Perfect for curved products that don’t work easily in flat heat presses, like flasks and shot glasses! With an oven-like heating system, your products will have even heating and pressure without worries that the product may break or bend! The 3D Vacuum Press can easily go from imprinting on coasters and plaques to mugs, shot glasses and flasks. We have about a dozen 11 oz. silicon mug wraps, 3 or 4 mug wraps for 15 oz. mugs, and 1 wrap for 20 oz. mugs. The maximum size for printable items is 11.8" x 16.5".
You can view the user manual here.

Again, deferring to @CaryF300 … he’s the expert.

I believe we have at least 1 20 oz latte mug wrap that might work

If we have this wrap it should work.

None of the wraps we have are 9.25" tall. The 20 oz. mug wrap we have is for a huge coffee cup, not a tall skinny item. It will require something like the sublimation shrink wrap from JP Plus (Shrink Wrap Sublimation Sleeves) or something like this from JSD Industries

You would wrap it around the tumbler at an angle to get full coverage. You could then use the 3D Vacuum Press or a convection oven to sublimate.

If you are just trying to put a logo or small design on the tumbler, and not trying to do full coverage, then you could try the water bottle heater for the mug press.

3 Likes

Nope, that wrap is only 5" tall. The 9 1/2" dimension would be going around the tumbler, and is probably to long for the circumference of the tumbler.

1 Like

Would this work?

If that fits the tumbler that you are decorating then yes, it would work with the 3D Vacuum Press or a convection oven.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Did DMS get the silicone clamp? Or should I use the shrink wrap in the 3D heat press?

We have not purchased any. I you use the shrink wrap, ensure that it does not make direct contact with the top or bottom of the vacuum press, it will melt, stick to them, and probably ruin your transfer.

1 Like