How to sew (thin) leather?

I have a dice bag I bought long ago that I’m looking to duplicate. It’s outer layer is a very soft leather, and the inner is soft fabric. It looks like it was sewn just on a regular sewing machine - http://i.imgur.com/a4EjZ6W.jpg What machine would be used to sew a piece like this? The big beefy leather sewing machine would be overkill in this situation, but I’m not sure if this would work in the Brothers either - it’s thin and soft, but it’s still leather.

Am I wrong and the Brothers would work as long as the leather is soft and thin enough, or would I need a more industrial-strength machine to do something like this? (and if so, do we happen to have one?) If we don’t have a machine that can handle sewing leather like this, is there some kind of similar-ish material that the Brothers can handle? Would something like ‘faux leather’ vinyl be ok?

Thanks

Sending out the Bat :bat: Signal for @Webdevel

I don’t think you’d have any problems sewing thin faux leather on a regular sewing machine. Depending on the texture you might need a teflon/plastic foot so the material doesn’t get stuck as it’s feeding. Use a leather needle. I’d get a test strip and see how well it holds. The thread on a regular machine is thinner than the thread you use with the leather sewing machine.

As a tip don’t use pins to hold your material together, use clips or something. Otherwise youll have holes.

3 Likes

Thanks @Scott_Blevins :slight_smile:

@ShDragon the Janome sewing machines in Creative Arts can easily sew through that leather and the fabric lining. The only thing you need to do is make sure you use a Leather needle, instead of a fabric needle. A leather needle will pierce, cut, the leather, whereas a fabric needle is designed to push the threads of fabric apart.

@Kriskat30 would be the person to speak to about getting signed off on the sewing machines if you are not already. @Lordrook will be having a class specifically on sewing zippered pouches using those Janome’s in June I believe. So you have some options!

1 Like

Amanda (@ladysandry) is exactly correct on all points. I have done exactly what she’s saying.

Edit: You might consider using a spool of machine quilting thread. It will go through the sewing machine / needle just fine. It’s stronger than “regular” sewing machine thread but nearly as heavy duty (or stiff) as leather sewing thread.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if we have a walking foot for the sewing machines? I have one on mine and it makes a WORLD of difference keeping the two pieces of leather together.

1 Like

+1 for @ladysandry, that’s the exact technique I use.

And I do also plan to do a drawstring bag class that uses leather on the Janome’s in the near future. They will be a good size to be either a small project bag for a knitter/hooker (for like socks or a single ball project), OR can be used as a large dice bag. The zipper bag class wont be ideal for dice.

1 Like

Excellent point. I don’t think we have one, but @Kriskat can answer that for sure.

An alternate approach, as long as it is a smooth grain leather, is to use a little double sided clear (Scotch) tape to keep the leather together while sewing. Put the DS tape near the seam area but not in it. DS Scotch tape is flimsy enough that it will remove easily but will hold your leather in place.

It shouldn’t leave an adhesive residue, but as always, test in an inconspicuous place.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the advice. :slight_smile: I’m signed off on the sewing machines already and have been using them for fabric projects, but there’s no way I was running anything “unusual” through there without asking for advice first.

3 Likes