How to set up a SIG

Some of us would like to set up a sig, It would be
Makers who Market and we will only the space for
organizing, If we decide to hold a show/sale it will be off
site,

What do we need to do? Does it need to under a committee?
The group will cut across many groups

We will discuss various ways of marketing our work, including
on line makerting

2 Likes

A SIG is just a group of people gathered around a specific topic. There’s nothing really formal for them at the space. They don’t get funding or space allotted.

You could ask for a forum category to be created for discussing a market but I feel like that would easily get confused in searches with the makertrade category.

The only real reason to make a sig is if you think it would eventually become a committee. The sig would show that there’s an interested group for it.

For a committee I feel like it’s pretty narrow and could fall under pr if you really wanted it to.

The SIG’s were formed within CA because their were groups of people with a common interests that weren’t really big enough to be a committee or likely to get any Space allocated so they organized and have a lot of autonomy, storage space, and some funding to get started, under the the Chair - which I’m sure will continue. Small Metals and Jewelry was basically a SIG that was able to get Space so they could work and broke away from CA. (Not sure if they just out-grew the nest or were kicked out). Costuming & Props (Cosplay, Punk, Anime, etc. is starting back up again under CA after halting first attempt).

The Amateur Radio at one time was a Committee but devolved into a SIG under Electronics. So things are always changing.

My advice is find a committee that will “sponsor” your SIG then you can operate something like a mini-committee under their umbrella. Go for it.

“Improved” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Interest_Groups

Interest Groups can be formed to provide a structure for discussion and work on topics which have gained the attention of several people at DMS, but for one reason or another do not justify or need a formal Committee.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you, It looks like an interest group will be what
we need

1 Like