How to "mention" (tag) a committee or group when reporting an Issue or making a Request on TALK?

When you create a new topic to report an issue or make a request, you are encouraged to “mention” the appropriate “team” of Volunteers so they can be aware that there is something they may be able to help with.

Below is a list of the current custom groups (other than the members’ only group - which cannot be mentioned/tagged).

NOTE: When you mention (“tag”) any of the teams below, keep in mind that they are Case Sensitive. If you happen to start typing “team_” then a drop-down menu should appear and you can select the group that way. If you do not opt to select the group from the drop-down menu, then you must capitalize the first letter of each word exactly how it’s shown in the list below.

@Team_3D_Fab
@Team_Aerospace 
@Team_Automotive
@Team_Blacksmithing
@Team_Calendar
@Team_Civic_Hacking
@Team_Education
@Team_Creative_Arts
@Team_Digital_Media
@Team_Electronics
@Team_Finance
@Team_Fired_Arts
@Team_HAAS 
@Team_Hatchers
@Team_Infrastructure
@Team_Jewelry
@Team_Laser
@Team_Logistics
@Team_Machine_Shop
@Team_Metal_Shop
@Team_Moderators
@Team_PR
@Team_Science
@Team_VCC
@Team_Vector
@Team_Woodshop

@Committee_Chairs <-- NOTE: This is a "Special Case Use ONLY" tag. See below for more details

By the “@Committee_Chairs” tag being a Special Case Use ONLY tag, what I mean is that using it to mention the current chairs should be used sparingly - such as on the following types of threads: The twice a year Committee Chair elections threads to notify the current chairs that elections are coming up and meetings need to be scheduled; threads to notify the current chairs of “Special Chairperson Meetings” that may be scheduled from time to time to let them know them know about the upcoming special meeting; threads that act as a Call to Action for current committee chairs (such as when PR or other committees reach out to chairs for information gathering purposes like updating New Member Handbooks, etc…).

ATTN: Committee Chairs, please review the members listed in any groups associated with your committee and request any additions/removals either as a reply to this thread or via PM to @Team_Infrastructure so we can ensure that the appropriate volunteers are notified when a group is “mentioned”.

ALL: If you find yourself being “tagged” for issues/requests that you do not wish to be tagged in, please let Infrastructure know by replying to this thread or via PM, so you can be removed from the custom group.

Thanks! :smiley:

PLEASE REMEMBER DALLAS MAKERSPACE IS AN ALL VOLUNTARY RUN COMMUNITY.
Our volunteers will handle the reported issues as quickly as possible; however, there is no guaranteed time frame for resolution - due to the voluntary nature of how things work around here.

Please consider volunteering to help maintain some of our resources to help keep things running as smooth as possible here! Thanks!

1 Like

But please be sensitive to not use this at_Team tag for other types of posts. Tagging teams like that for informational types of thing will quickly fill up their in-boxes. We don’t want to inure them to this tagging so that may overlook something truly important.

1 Like

@uglyknees For CA that list of of will be those we identify as Key Operators for the various pieces of equipment.

1 Like

How can I see who is in a Team?

2 Likes

Click on one of the @XXXXX tags or go to a URL like this: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/groups/Team_Calendar

5 Likes

So I am trying to figure out this tagging stuff and I discover that I do not have “Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic” enabled in preferences.

Done.

But how I wish that @username was an independent item as I suspect I will be buried in notifications from the first two.

1 Like

Honestly, since there is a limit to how many e-mail notifications can be sent to any individual each day, for many of us, we don’t receive any e-mail notifications after mid-morning on most days… The limit was set a while back to prevent overages and extra related costs at that time. There have been other changes since then (related to our mail services). I’m not sure if Brooks (@bscharff) feels comfortable increasing the limit at this time or not. That being said…

As much as I personally wish that I could receive an actual e-mail message for everything posted on TALK, that hasn’t been the case in some time now so I just make a point to log into TALK at least once a day most days to check my notifications. On days that I am not able to for whatever reason (vacation, sick, etc…), I know there will be others who will see the posts… That’s also why I try to remind people that we are an all voluntary community, and as such we have to wait until someone who is both capable of resolving an issue and who has time available to do so. :smiley:

1 Like

As requested ( https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/request-handle-for-committee-chairs/13619 ), I have added the @Committee_Chairs tag.

This is the tag that will be used (sparingly) to mention the current Committee Chairs (and Vice Chairs in instances where a Vice Chair position has been appointed by the current chairperson, and noted in the most recent Chair elections results and/or on the applicable committee’s wiki page. Please note that “Vice Chair” is not an officially “elected” position; but, rather a position that is appointed by the current chairperson of a committee and serves whichever purposes the current chair dictates - usually primarily as an alternate contact when the current chair is not available (due to vacation, illness, etc…).

I did not include “Team” on the tag for a couple of reasons.

• There is a limit of characters that a group name can be.
  • This is a Special Case Use ONLY tag; and, as such I wanted to have it noticeable as something ‘different’ from the tags used to mention various teams of volunteer who help resolve issues/requests.

By the “@Committee_Chairs” tag being a Special Case Use ONLY tag, what I mean is that using it to mention the current chairs should be used sparingly - such as on the following types of threads: The twice a year Committee Chair elections threads to notify the current chairs that elections are coming up and meetings need to be scheduled; threads to notify the current chairs of “Special Chairperson Meetings” that may be scheduled from time to time to let them know them know about the upcoming special meeting; threads that act as a Call to Action for current committee chairs (such as when PR or other committees reach out to chairs for information gathering purposes like updating New Member Handbooks, etc…).

Committee Chairs: If there are any changes in the current chairpersons outside of the official chairperson elections in October & April, please notify Infrastructure so the group can be updated accordingly (since it’s all done manually).

Thanks!
:smiley:

1 Like

thanks Kentamanos… now only if we can get some of those sent to the github :wink:

Which remind me I need to push up a few changes…